I Need Help Making Red Icing.

Decorating By drowninginfondant Updated 20 Nov 2008 , 3:08pm by drowninginfondant

drowninginfondant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drowninginfondant Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 7

I've used a whole jar of paste and it still isn't red. Any tips out there? Also, the same with black.

6 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 7

All you can do is add color and wait. The color deepens as it sits.

But I'm lazy....if I need red or black icing I buy it. I just HATE coloring icing, and dark colors are the WORST.....

If I need a whole cake red or black, I use my airbrush.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 7

You need to wait at least 2 hours, especially if you are using Wilton colors. Overnight is even better.

mandi1613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandi1613 Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 7

i really suggest getting americolor super red. it works very well and it won't change the flavor.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 2:37pm
post #5 of 7

I've found that when making red and black, trial and error is the best teacher.

On the red, you have to get the color right above the color pink, to this color that isn't pink but definitely not red. To know if you have it the right color, smear a spatula full of icing on the back of a white plate (I like corning, because mine are white). Wait an hour or more and check the color. You will be surprised how red your sort-of-red icing turns.

The same holds true for black, take it to a color just above grey to a dark grey and test it.

Testing is the only way to not only save on coloring but not make your icing taste nasty. By the way, the only red I use is Wilton no-taste red. All the other reds I've tried give an awful flavor to the icing.

sugardaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardaze Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 2:38pm
post #6 of 7

Try adding pink paste color and than red. Also, i found with black it helps to add brown paste color than black.

drowninginfondant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drowninginfondant Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 3:08pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%