Royal Icing Consistency

Decorating By doreenre Updated 19 Nov 2008 , 11:41pm by doreenre

doreenre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doreenre Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 4

I really struggle w/ getting my royal icing the right consistency to pipe onto fondant. Either it's too runny and starts to slide, or it's thicker, but doesn't hold it's shape when piping beads or shell borders.

How thick should it be? Eyeballing the ps to water to meringue powder ratio isn't working for me. Should I let it set a little before I pipe w/ it? How do I avoid the pointed tip at the end of the piped item (for example, a bead)?

I'll be making my first wedding cake next spring and need to get this royal icing stuff figured out!!

Please help!!

3 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 11:02pm
post #2 of 4

It takes a little practice, but starting with a thicker icing is better.

As for points on dots, it is faster and easier to go back and flatten them with a slightly moist paint brush.

Also, if you are doing a bead border, you can pipe from the side, like for a shell border. you get round beads and the points are hidden by the next bead.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenre

Either it's too runny and starts to slide, or it's thicker, but doesn't hold it's shape when piping beads or shell borders.

If it is thick but not holding shape, you didn't mix it long enough. Make sure you are mixing atleast 7 mins with a stand mixer and 10 with a hand mixer.

Always make it a little on the thicker side. You can thin it down after it is mixed. You just want it to be thin enough to pipe with. Sometimes I have to put it in the bag and see.

doreenre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doreenre Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 11:41pm
post #4 of 4

As far as the mixing goes, this is good to know. I wasn't aware that the mixing time was a big factor. I'll continue to err on the thicker side and hope for the best.

Thanks ladies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%