Caramel Roses?

Decorating By kansaswolf Updated 1 Jan 2009 , 11:49pm by CakeDiva73

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 20

So I've been experimenting with making roses lately, as this is a skill I've never worked on until now... I made three from gumpaste, and then had an idea as I was going through my daughters' Halloween candy: Why couldn't I use caramels? They're moldable, soft, easy to shape... So I took a few and used my brand new rose petal cutters, and here's what I did! Any help to make them look better would be appreciated!
LL
LL

19 replies
mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 12:26am
post #2 of 20

Wow!! Good thinking. They look great. Thanks for the idea. icon_lol.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 12:34am
post #3 of 20

Help to make them look better?? **Why???????** icon_smile.gif
Actually, can you try to thin them a bit more? And, tweak the petals a bit - like pinch them & give some of them a bit of ruffle (not exactly what I mean....just some movement).

One can also use StarBurst candies.

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 12:58am
post #4 of 20

They look beautiful - and delicious!!

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 1:09am
post #5 of 20

They look beautiful - and delicious!!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 2:05am
post #6 of 20

they look perfect to me....good idea!

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 3:10am
post #7 of 20

they look perfect to me too! Very well done.

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 5:37pm
post #8 of 20

Very well done! Plus they taste good too!

2chae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2chae Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 6:19pm
post #9 of 20

Great roses! You can use tootsie rolls too. They come in lots of colors! icon_wink.gif

kansaswolf Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 10:38pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Help to make them look better?? **Why???????** icon_smile.gif
Actually, can you try to thin them a bit more? And, tweak the petals a bit - like pinch them & give some of them a bit of ruffle (not exactly what I mean....just some movement).

One can also use StarBurst candies.

Thanks for the ideas! I went about as thin as I could on the one to the lower left, and I agree, it looks better than the other ones! Yes, a bit of movement would be good too... I can do that... Maybe I'll try some bigger ones too, these were so small it was difficult to even get them together sometimes! Depends on how warm the house is, too... icon_lol.gif

Thanks for all the lovely comments everyone! I'll keep practicing! icon_biggrin.gif

knel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knel Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 11:02pm
post #11 of 20

How do you keep them from drooping? I've made roses from tootsie rolls, and the droop over and flatten some. Yours look fantastic.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 12:03am
post #12 of 20

They came out terrific.

kansaswolf Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 7:26am
post #13 of 20

They really only stayed soft while I was working with them. I tend to keep my house rather cool. (Saves on the gas bill! I can wear a sweater... icon_biggrin.gif ) Once I quit working with them, they cooled down and became fairly stiff. Perhaps box them up and put them in the fridge to prevent drooping, unless you wanna set your thermostat to 65 degrees or less! icon_biggrin.gif

rmelendrez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rmelendrez Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 8:19am
post #14 of 20

Fantastic idea

kansaswolf Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 7:57pm
post #15 of 20

So I decided to make a chocolate cake with caramel icing, and thought that some caramel roses would be a nice touch! I took your advice on here and did my best to implement it, and here's my final result, with some modeling chocolate leaves added! Thanks for your help everyone!
LL
LL

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 8:07pm
post #16 of 20

the first lot look great, the lot on the cake look even better!
xx

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 8:15pm
post #17 of 20

Wow....I'm kind of new to this, but I never would have thought that you could make roses out of caramel or tootsie rolls! That is just amazing!!! They look beautiful!

knel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knel Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 6:05am
post #18 of 20

Great job!

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 11:34pm
post #19 of 20

Well, someone obviously spent the last month working to get those caramel roses just right! Fantastic job! thumbs_up.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 11:49pm
post #20 of 20

I like using the caramel for roses but I never roll and cut them, I just pull off pieces, roll to teardrop and thin manually and attach the petals. I made then to top blackout cupcakes with chocolate icing - wanted to put someting tasty on top of each one and was stumped.

At Thanksgiving, we made caramel acorns to put atop mini-cupcakes too - those were so easy and yummy! Great job on your roses - they are lovely.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%