Shimmers

Decorating By Beth02 Updated 20 Nov 2008 , 4:37pm by MacsMom

Beth02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beth02 Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 7

I was wondering how people were making cake accents (bows, flowers, leaves, etc) and sometimes the whole cake shimmery. I have the Wilton shimmers but have only tried using them once to brush on the tips of the fantasy flower when I was taking course 4. I haven't used them again because it didn't look the way I wanted.

How are you ladies getting them so totally shimmery? Are you using a special product? How are you applying it? Any advice would be great. With the holidays coming up I would love to try more with silvers and shiny reds/greens.

Thanks!!!

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 7

You need luster dustsicon_smile.gif Some use disco dust but from all I have read it is finely ground pieces of plasticicon_sad.gif

Beth02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beth02 Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 10:38pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks! So to apply it do you brush it on after you have completed the accent/cake or do you mix it into the fondant/gum paste?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 12:58am
post #4 of 7

Do not mix it in! Definately dry brush it on after the piece is done and ready to place on the cake.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 4:39am
post #5 of 7

If you do not have a cake supply store around you or want to play around before order, you can get Wilton Pearl dusts. They come in 8 different colors (I think) and are FDA approved.

sweetcakesva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesva Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 4:23pm
post #6 of 7

what do you use to apply it? do you have to make it wet?

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 4:37pm
post #7 of 7

Pearl dusts and Luster dusts have the best "shine" and go on the smoothest (both dry and mixed with vodka).

I actually prefer to dry brush it on with one of those cheap sponge brushes. But in many cases I have to paint it on by mixing it with vodka because I need to put it on an isolated area. If I dry-brushed it the excess would fall on part of the cake I don't want it.

Sparkle dusts, disco dusts and glitter dusts and more coarse and are probably meant to be sprinkled on a moist surface. (Perhaps brush the surface with lemon extract and then sprinkle it on).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%