Piping Bags, Plastic Or..fabric?

Decorating By __Jamie__ Updated 21 Nov 2008 , 6:40am by lilthorner

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 17

I have only ever used the Wilton plastic or vinyl piping bags. I saw the girls behind the counter at Walmart using fabric bags last night. Are these easier to clean? Mine now seem to be hard and crinkly and I have to warm them up before using. Yuch. Anyone use the fabric kind? They look easier to use, and easier to twist off at the top so icing doesn't smoosh out while you're piping.

16 replies
emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 17

I would stick with vinyl, or disposable (my preference). I have a couple of the fabric bags by Ateco and the icing leaks through the fabric. You think everything is going well until you notice the palm of your hand is all greasy and pink. :/

__Jamie__ Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 17

Thanks! I was wondering about leaking too!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 17

Yah, I have used a couple and didn't like how they cleaned icon_sad.gif

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 17

I like the disposable bags, not as messy.

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 7:02pm
post #6 of 17

Disposable bags for mess, canvas for keeping hot hands away from cool product.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 7:11pm
post #7 of 17

I use disposable for ease of cleanup, but because I can't stand the feel of them, I slide it into a fabric/canvas bag for better grip/handling.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 8:41pm
post #8 of 17

After using canvas bags for years, I now have switched to disposables completely. The new disposables with the sure grip are great. They are more pliable than the old disposables. I like being able to see the color of icing in the bag instantly and of course the cleanup is great. If I am going to be using the bags for up to 3 days, consecutive I just leave the coupler in the bag with the icing and wrap them in plastic. The colored icings are as safe left in the bag as if they were sealed in plastic containers. Make sure you remove all of the metal tips first. I never try to wash mine and reuse them, they become stiff and brittle when you do that. If you buy them in rolls of 100 or more they are only 10-15¢ each, well worth the extra clean up time the canvas bags take and you aren't sending all of that grease down your kitchen drain.

__Jamie__ Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 10:37pm
post #9 of 17

Thanks guys! I am going to buy a box of disposables then, that settles it. Yes, I hate how mine (the plastic/vinyl) get crunchy and stiff. Yuch!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 12:30am
post #10 of 17

I'm also a "disposable bag all the way" lady. And ditto to pretty much everything BCJean says: when I'm working on stuff for 2-3 days, I just put the icing-filled bags inside a big ziplok and use them the next day (or the next .... or the next ... or.....). I use the Bakery Craft brand and I really like those. I bought a small box of Wilton brand once and found them to be too slick, too stiff and just not comfortable to work with. B.Craft also makes disposable 18" bags .... great for big wedding cakes! I luv being able to decorate a whole cake without having to stop and fill the bag every 5 or 6 minutes!

I got an Ateco bag as a sample at a show once. Didnt' like the greasy feeling that leaked thru the bag.

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 12:44am
post #11 of 17

debi, im looking in a bc catalog right now.. i see 2 kinds of disposable bags that say bakery craft on the box. One says anti slip by polaa and one says non slip. which ones?

lilthorner Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 12:45am
post #12 of 17

debi, im looking in a bc catalog right now.. i see 2 kinds of disposable bags that say bakery craft on the box. One says anti slip by polaa and one says non slip. which ones?

lilthorner Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 12:45am
post #13 of 17

indydebi Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 12:59am
post #14 of 17

can't tell ya right now .... i'm at home and the bags are at the shop. will check tomorrow and let you know.

lilthorner Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 3:13pm
post #15 of 17

sorry for the 3 posts.. i kept getting an error.. I guess it wasnt really and error hee hee

indydebi Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 9:25pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilthorner

These are bad pics, but here's the link to the ones I use: http://www.bakerycrafts.com/Home/Items/tabid/69/SrchStr/bags/Default.aspx ... the 12" and the 18". I looked on the boxes and they don't say non-slip or anything special, but these are the product numbers on the box.

lilthorner Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 6:40am
post #17 of 17

thank you!. I went to my supplier today, but I will mark these for my next trip!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%