Healthy Butter Substitute For Fruit Cake And Pudding? Help?

Decorating By MustloveDogs Updated 20 Nov 2008 , 5:30am by chutzpah

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 7:11am
post #1 of 10

Hi All,
My mum makes our fruit cake and pudding every year and normally uses butter. She says that she uses 1lb butter to 10 eggs ,1 lb flour, 3 ½ lb fruit.
Now that my dad is recovering from a heart attack, she wants to try to make it healthier by using something other than butter.
If she used the low-cholesterol margerines out there, would they break down into trans-fats or could she use them and be healthy?
Or instead, could she use olive oil or canola oil?
Or is there something else that she could use that would be healthy and work better?
My dad adores both pudding and fruit cake and wolfs it down when he gets the chance, but we really want it healthier for him now.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Cheers!

9 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 7:25am
post #2 of 10

The fruit cakes don't depend on butter for their structure, so you could probably substitute margarine, just pick one that is labeled no trans fats. I will have more water than the butter, but it should still hold up in the heavier cake that fruitcake typically becomes.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 11:29am
post #3 of 10

After replacing the butter, what are you going to replace the eggs with?.

Mike

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 10

I use Earth Balance in my specialty baked goods (for diabetics and people with food allergies) and it works great.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 2:52pm
post #5 of 10

You can cut down on the butter, but still use it.

I go to www.cookinglight.com for amazing recipes from their magazine. Here's one for fruitcake and plum pudding tartlets, just a twist on the British version....

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1120291

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?
action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1673127

thumbs_up.gif

norma20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
norma20 Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 2:59pm
post #6 of 10

How about baking and cooking something lighter for him?
Also olive oil and canola oil are not interchangeable. Olive oil is an excellent and health oil. Very good for you dad.
Canola oil is not.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 4:05pm
post #7 of 10

good for you and your mom for trying to make healthier choices for your dad! my first thoughts were maybe he can just enjoy a smaller piece of fruitcake instead of changing the recipe? of course, that's easier said than done as self-control is something 99% of people have not yet mastered...

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 7:46pm
post #8 of 10

She asked for healthy substitutes -

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 12:00pm
post #9 of 10

My father has been on a pritikin diet ever since I can remember. He eats so healthily it is amazing. He also does 3 hours of DAILY exercise.
His only splurge is fruit cake and pudding ONCE a year at christmas time.
I do NOT think it is a problem for him to have more than 1 slice in his circumstances.
Thank you to those who actually answered the question that I posted.
As far as the reason he has had a heart attack, it was simple bad luck and bad genes.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 5:30am
post #10 of 10

Well, Curvy, you could have mentioned the fact that your dad eats healthy 99% of the time.
Kudos to your Pop for keeping his diet!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%