My First Cake! Please Take A Look!

Decorating By Tisha___ Updated 19 Nov 2008 , 6:12am by cakebaker1978

Tisha___ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tisha___ Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 11:43pm
post #1 of 25

I tried uploading the picture, but uploading is temporarily unavailable.

So, please go to my flickr page and take a look! I'm so excited. It actually turned out pretty good, I think.

This is my first real decorated cake (except the Wilton rainbow cake) and it's my first time making fondant (MMF).

Please give me your honest opinions.

Thanks!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30964727@N02/sets/72157609205581378/

24 replies
mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 11:51pm
post #2 of 25

Great job! It's flawless!

How did you make your letters? Are they MMF?

angelatx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelatx Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 25

hi tisha, wow i think its great. your fondant is so smooth!! i think you did an awesome job! congrats! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Angela icon_smile.gif

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 25

Nice job! Especially for your first fondant! Very smooth! And nice straight sides.... thumbs_up.gif

shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 11:52pm
post #5 of 25

i think it turned out great good job thumbs_up.gif

Lenore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenore Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 11:53pm
post #6 of 25

I checked it out. It looks perfect! You should be proud. The cookies are great too. I would only suggest placing a different background behind the cookies spelling out the message as they are hard to see and are disconnected from the cake. I hope this helps. Congratulations!!

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 11:57pm
post #7 of 25

Excellent job.

Tisha___ Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 11:59pm
post #8 of 25

Thanks, everyone. To the person who asked, the purple letters and numbers, are sugar cookies (NFSC recipe from this site)

To the person who suggested the better background, I agree. But, I assumed my aunt was going to have a tablecloth on her table, but she didn't. So, I had to go with it. lol It was just to present the cake and cookies to my cousin, so it worked for that purpose. But, I agree that a tablecloth would have looked better. thumbs_up.gif

Thanks everyone, for the kind words. My SO Keith helped me a LOT. I couldn't have finished it wihtout him.

I'm just gushing! It turned out better than I had hoped!

Next month is the same cousin's college graduation. It will be a bigger cake, and more involved. I hope it comes out ok too!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 11:59pm
post #9 of 25

Great job! You took on a lot for the first time. Everything is perfect!
What are you trying next?

MaloSlatko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaloSlatko Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 12:02am
post #10 of 25

Very nicely done. I like your colours too thumbs_up.gif

Tisha___ Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 12:04am
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickymacd

Great job! You took on a lot for the first time. Everything is perfect!
What are you trying next?

Next is the graduation cake. Three small stacked cakes, with a University of Oklahoma symbol, with footsteps leading to the eiffle tower (probably make of chocolate?), more footsteps leading to a piece of art, and more footsteps leading to "the stars" (sparklers on top of the cake.) with a phrase on the bottom (I can't remember the prhase right now... the sketch for the cake is on my work computer.)

tabitwhe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabitwhe Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 12:06am
post #12 of 25

I think it looks great! God job!

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 12:07am
post #13 of 25

your cake is beautiful! Did you ice the number cookies? Beautiful! You cakers are amazing. I do cookies, would be scared to death to tackle a cake. Although I would like to do a bunco cake (dice) in April, I'll be asking all kinds of advice from you talented folks!!

Tisha___ Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 12:10am
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiney

your cake is beautiful! Did you ice the number cookies? Beautiful!

Thank you!

Nope. I didn't ice the cookies. Icing isn't her favorite thing, so I figured the BC and MMF on the cake would put her into overload. So I left the cookies plain. But I dyed them with gel icing dye.

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 12:14am
post #15 of 25

Congrats!!! For your first fondant cake, it looks perfect!!!

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 12:25am
post #16 of 25

You did a fantastic job!!! Can't wait to see more!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 12:31am
post #17 of 25

You did an awesome job! I love how you took pictures of all the different steps to show everyone! Keep up the good work!

Sweetlepea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetlepea Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 12:42am
post #18 of 25

thumbs_up.gif Great job!

Sweetlepea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetlepea Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 12:43am
post #19 of 25

thumbs_up.gif Great job!

Tisha___ Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 1:15am
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

You did an awesome job! I love how you took pictures of all the different steps to show everyone! Keep up the good work!

Thanks. I wish I hadn't been so discouraged after the cakes stuck, because I would have taken even more pics. But, at that point, I really figured I'd be whipping up some cupcakes a couple of hours before the bday. But, somehow it all worked out! birthday.gif

lifonahil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lifonahil Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 5:07am
post #21 of 25

Great job.

kbak37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbak37 Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 5:32am
post #22 of 25

I think your cake looks great! Job well done and you should be proud of yourself!

jjandhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjandhope Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 6:06am
post #23 of 25

Your cake is perfect like everyone said. I enjoyed the photos you posted. They may have actually cleared up some questions for me as to how to be successful with fondant. Mine puckers around the bottom. But yours draped so far over the edges that it probably was easier to keep from puckering. Is that the case? (Can someone with a lot of fondant experience confirm this? If not....how DO you keep it puckering?) However it is done, you did it just right. it's beautiful.

Tisha___ Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 12:31pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjandhope

I enjoyed the photos you posted. They may have actually cleared up some questions for me as to how to be successful with fondant. Mine puckers around the bottom. But yours draped so far over the edges that it probably was easier to keep from puckering. Is that the case?

Thank you.

I'm not really sure if that's why it worked or not. But, I did have an extra set of hands, and I KNOW that helped. Plus, my fondant smoother.

cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 6:12am
post #25 of 25

This cake is adorable! Your colors are perfect! FIRST CAKE??? WOW! You are on your way!! Great job!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%