Last Minute Order Italian Cream Cake???

Decorating By meganmo27 Updated 17 Nov 2008 , 4:42am by AlamoSweets

meganmo27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meganmo27 Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 7

Help!! I've never made an Italian Creme cake and need some advice on the best recipie and what exactly it's supposed to taste like!!
Any advice is appreciated icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
VickiChicki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiChicki Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 7

OMG! Italian Cream Cake is probably one of my favorite cakes and it really is to die for! I get quite a few requests for it once people taste it. It is hard to describe, because it really isn't like any other cake. It has buttermilk in it and nuts and coconut - but I would not relate it to carrot cake or coconut cake - it is just SIMPLY DELICIOUS! Cream Cheese Icing is a MUST between the layers and to ice the cake! Hope this helps!

Here is the recipe I use:

INGREDIENTS
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
2 cups white sugar
5 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup flaked coconut
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups all-purpose flour

8 ounces cream cheese
1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons light cream
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
Add to Recipe Box
My folders:

Add to Shopping List
Add a Personal Note

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease three 9 inch round cake pans. In a small bowl, dissolve the baking soda in the buttermilk; set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together 1/2 cup butter, shortening and white sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs, buttermilk mixture, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 cup coconut, baking powder and flour. Stir until just combined. Pour batter into the prepared pans.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.
To Make Frosting: In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, 1/2 cup butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla and confectioners' sugar. Beat until light and fluffy. Mix in a small amount of cream to attain the desired consistency. Stir in chopped nuts and remaining flaked coconut. Spread between layers and on top and sides of cooled cake.

meganmo27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meganmo27 Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 10:12pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you!! icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 10:19pm
post #4 of 7

I like the IC cake recipe of Emeril's. It's on the Food Network website. I make a fair amount of IC cake and that recipe is excellent.

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 10:23pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I like the IC cake recipe of Emeril's. It's on the Food Network website. I make a fair amount of IC cake and that recipe is excellent.

Leah,
There are two from Emeril on Food Network. One is from Beth Lott's mom and the other has pineapple in the icing. Which recipe do you use?

TIA icon_smile.gif

VickiChicki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiChicki Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 10:30pm
post #6 of 7

I forgot to say I use pecans instead of walnuts! Just like them better!
icon_biggrin.gif

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 4:42am
post #7 of 7

Here is a recipe for one using a mix. I have tried several recipes and this one is just as good and I get many raves about it.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2208-13-Italian-Cream-Cake-from-a-mix.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%