Outlining Cookies

Baking By ddaigle Updated 16 Nov 2008 , 10:41pm by mandifrye

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 5

I know practice makes perfiect, but I was wondering what people prefer when outling a cookie that you plan on filling. I outlined some cookies today with BC....wrong choice. It looks like a 2 year old did it. icon_cry.gif After they dried, I filled them with a "cookie filler" recipe from the Wilton book that is drying like glass, so I am happy with the filler. icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 10:15pm
post #2 of 5

I use the same flowing icing that I fill it in with.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 5

Like indydeby said...same thing you use for filling the cookie but in a stronger consistency for the outline.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

VickiChicki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiChicki Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 10:36pm
post #4 of 5

I always use a royal icing for outlining - a bit thicker than the "flow" icing I used in the past as the filler icing. I have also made another discovery on my own for a filler icing. I bought the Sam's Club buttercream icing - I tried microwaving it for just a few seconds - try 10 seconds at a time - just until it is smooth and melted - if you go too long it begins to turn grainy - but once it is smooth you can pour it directly onto the cookie within your outline and it tastes so much better than royal icing! I make shortbread cookies (decorated) and my customers LOVE them with this icing! They keep coming back for more!
Hope this helps!

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 10:41pm
post #5 of 5

I prefer Toba Garret's Glace' icing - it tastes much better than royal (at least to me! thumbs_up.gif ), and it doesn't dry rock hard. It is great for stacking, cookie bouquets or whatever. I start with just enough milk to get it going, then add the corn syrup, and add a little milk at a time until I reach the consistancy needed for outlining. Then I then the colors after I have done the outline for flooding!

Here is the recipe...
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2119-Toba-Garretts-Glace-Icing.html

HTH -
Mandi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%