Using Vinyl For A Fondant Mat?

Decorating By VS8894 Updated 19 Nov 2008 , 11:11am by -K8memphis

VS8894 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VS8894 Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 29

I know I have read where some use a vinyl tablecloth as a fondant mat?
I have been having issues with tears and such when transferring my fondant to my cake.

I was wondering from anyone that uses this method.
1. Do you use anything on the vinyl, crisco, powdered sugar, cornstarch?
2. can you flip and peel as you put on cake?
3. Does this work with homemade fondant or only store bought?
Hope someone can help.

Thanks,

Vicki

28 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 5:43pm
post #2 of 29

I use a silpat-ish made for food mat. I know a lot of people use that vinyl.

I don't put anything on mine neither fat nor powder.

It should work for both homemade and store bought.

Flip and peel, baby, all the way, flip and peel.

icon_biggrin.gif

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 5:59pm
post #3 of 29

k8memphis where do you get that? Never heard of it but would like something other than a Wilton one that I have...it's sorry.

-K8memphis Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 6:11pm
post #4 of 29

Geraldine Randlesome's Creative Cutters

https://creativecutters.sslpowered.com/index.php?option=com_simpleshop&Itemid=42&task=viewprod&id=872

She's got smaller sizes, I got this one.

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 29

Sue and I both use the tablecloth - I prefer crisco lightly smeared on it, Sue prefers the sugar/corn starch mix. Both work well. This will solve your problem quickly!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 1:28am
post #6 of 29

......2. can you flip and peel as you put on cake?
3. Does this work with homemade fondant or only store bought.....

Yes you flip the whole thing onto your cake and peel off the vinyal.
It works w/homemade just fineicon_smile.gif

Go to JoAnn's Fabrick or WalMart and buy a piece of *heavy* weight vinyal that comes on those *wide* rollsicon_smile.gif Don't! let anyone fold it; keep it rolled on/in a cardboard tube. Folding it iwll cause creases that will appear on the rolled fondant.

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 2:01am
post #7 of 29

kakeladi, how do you keep the vinyl from rolling up on you? i hate that about the wiltons mat. it kept rolling up on my so i had to tape it to my table cloth w/ duck tape. lol

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 2:06am
post #8 of 29

many use the vinyl but i LOVE the blue ateco mat sold at global.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 2:07am
post #9 of 29

Has anyone ever tried the sewing mats? The ones with the inch grids on them? They are a thick plastic.. no texture on the top. I've been trying to decide whether this would work..or if I want a silpat.

kakeladi Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 2:12am
post #10 of 29

The vinyle is a softer texture than Wilton's wich is a hard, thin plastic. It is much more flexable than sweing mats. Go look at it - touchy, feely icon_smile.gif

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 2:20am
post #11 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

The vinyle is a softer texture than Wilton's wich is a hard, thin plastic. It is much more flexable than sweing mats. Go look at it - touchy, feely icon_smile.gif

HA HA HA i love it.... touchy feely, to funny!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 2:20am
post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Good idea! Thanks for your help!!

Iloveweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iloveweddings Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 2:39am
post #13 of 29

I switched to vinyl and love it! I use crisco.

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 2:55am
post #14 of 29

Wow so I can just use a vinyl table cloth???!!! Fantastic!!!!

kakeladi Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 4:45am
post #15 of 29

......can just use a vinyl table cloth???!!! Fantastic!!!!.....

UUUuuummm NO, not 'just a vinyl tablecloth' but the *heavy* stuff that is used in many resturants to cover the tables *over* the tablecloth.
As I said before....go to JoAnn's Fabric or WalMart and 'touchy/feely'icon_smile.gif
You soon tell the differece.

CookiezNCupcakez Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 5:03am
post #16 of 29

If I just plan on using it for cookie decorating and 3d figures does it still have to be 'HEAVY' as I only plan on using it for that and not covering cakes?

kakeladi Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 6:20am
post #17 of 29

If you only need it for smaller projects as you mention, you might get by using a place mat. Just be sure to get one that is perfectly smooth and flexible. They are sometimes recommended for gp flower work.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 6:28am
post #18 of 29

Wow, I would have never thought about that. I think that I have some in my sewing stuff. It's folded though with that what could I do to get the wrinkles out of it?

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 12:02pm
post #19 of 29

I just love the WalMart vinyl but I really needed to see the grid pattern from the wilton ones when I am making fondant flowers. I took a ruler and fat Sharpie pen and traced the grid onto my new squares of vinyl from WalMart. I wrote "right side" on it and flip it over when I am rolling my fondant on it so I don't pick up any of the ink. I do fold them in half for storage but gently so I don't get a crease.

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 12:13pm
post #20 of 29

I loved that vinyl tablecloth tip. I was using my bench until then (before I made cakes for anyone else) and found it didnt matter how I cleaned it first I couldnt get it clean enough to work on - my fondant would always pick something up. Now I cover my bench with a foot or so of the table cloth and it gives me a huge space to work on. I then just wash it off with hot water and its ready to use again. It also does not take up colour so if I accidentally get some food dye on it it wont stain like my bench.

Dinny2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dinny2222 Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 4:43pm
post #21 of 29

Sugarshack which size do you use? I was thinking of getting one but I am not sure which would be better.

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 4:57pm
post #22 of 29

I use the heavy duty vinyl that I bought at WalMart...I just bought enough to cover my entire table and it works awesome! I thought about buying a smaller amount that I can take out when I just need to make figures or smaller decorations. I also use Crisco shortening and you can flip it over the cake, I have way too big of a sheet right now though to do that.

Taigen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taigen Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 5:31pm
post #23 of 29

I use the heavy vinyl also. I bought a large piece and made two size mats with it. I also bought bristol board and made my own measuring grid. Just mark off 1' squares in black and do circles in red. I then covered the bristol board with clear conatct paper so I would be able to wipe it. I just place this under my clear vinyl and roll away. I store my vinyl on a cardboard tube so it remains smooth.

CookiezNCupcakez Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 6:15pm
post #24 of 29

wow u guys are such a big help!!

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 8:11pm
post #25 of 29

I bought mine from the fabric store...it's got a bluish tint to it. They sell different weights but you want one that's pretty sturdy. I bought a few yards and cut it into workable sizes. Make sure to roll it on something though. I rolled it up and didn't put it on a tube and at one point it fell over and ended up folded in the middle. When I went to use it again, it had a huge crease down the middle. I turned my iron on low and put a towel over it and got out the big crease. I taped together two 20 x 30 pieces of foam core and put the large sheet of vinyl on that to roll out large pieces of fondant for 14" cakes and up. I've used crisco or corn starch. It helps to have someone lift the other side of the vinyl when it comes time to flip.

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 12:37pm
post #26 of 29

I use vinyl mats all the time for MMF when I do cookies. Go to any fabric store and buy 12 gauge . It is nice and sturdy. It is also cheap compared to just about any other mat, you can cut it to the size you need. If you do get wrinkles in it, just put it in really hot water, imediately lay out on a towel on a flat surface and dry with another towel. The wrinkles should come right out.

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 9:53am
post #27 of 29

hmmm... is this the same with acetate sheet used in wrapping a cake with chocolate?

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 9:54am
post #28 of 29

hmmm... is this the same with acetate sheet used in wrapping a cake with chocolate?

-K8memphis Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 11:11am
post #29 of 29

No it's not like the chocolate wrapping acetate--this stuff is flexible like a plastic fabric.

My silicone mat is 30 x 30.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%