Hurry Please!!! Need Help Fast!!!

Decorating By Ayanami Updated 15 Nov 2008 , 2:51pm by Ayanami

Ayanami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ayanami Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 21

I have been asked very last minute to make a ski slope cake & I am at a complete loss as to how to make a pine tree. I think I have most of the cake figured out in my head, but the tree are stumping me ... icon_confused.gif no pun intended ... any way. PLEASE HELP FAST!!!

20 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 21

Depending on the size, you can use ice cream cones. or rice krispies formed into a small cone and covered with icing or fondant

iluvjay829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvjay829 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 8:29pm
post #3 of 21

I use ice cream cones turned upside down and the leaf tip. Just start at the bottom and pipe leaves on top of each other. The dirtbike cake in my gallery has several trees. Good luck!

Ayanami Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 21

I've never done the RKT thing. Do you just buy pre-packaged RKT & then smoosh them in your hands to the shape you need?

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 8:39pm
post #5 of 21

Normally, I would make them (I adore them), but the store-bought kind should work fine, particularly for small trees. and yes, just smoosh them into shape. I might stick them in the fridge for 10 minutes to be sure they are not warm when you ice them.

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 8:49pm
post #6 of 21

I've also seen CCers use pretzel rods or sticks & pipe with a star tip. I think it looks great icon_smile.gif

Ayanami Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 8:53pm
post #7 of 21

Should I cover them with BC or with RI? Or what about fondant? I plan to cover the whole cake with my homemade MMF. I am going to make 2 9x13 1/4 sheet cakes & carve the top one to be rocky & moutain-ish. Then I plan on covering the whole thing with MMF & placing my trees & decorations on top.

Any ideas are more than welcome. I need whatever help I can get.

Ayanami Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 8:54pm
post #8 of 21

I have seen the pretzel stick trees, but again, I don't know how to build up the icing on there & would I use BC or RI?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 8:55pm
post #9 of 21

if you make the r.k.t. homemade, just color them green when you're mixing them up and form them..they kinda look like trees with the texture anyhwo....keep in mind if you want to go the route of doing the ice cream cone trees that you can make little gumpaste cones that are the sizes you want or you can cut the bottom pointy part of the cone making the "tree" much smaller!

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 8:56pm
post #10 of 21

I've seen on cc trees made by forming a cone shape from fondant, and snipping it all over to make a pine tree. i also saw a video on youtube, maybe it was aine2? i dont remember who.

uabcjgrad2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uabcjgrad2006 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 8:59pm
post #11 of 21

Also if you search the picture gallery for "tree" or "trees" you should be able to see some fantastic examples from fellow CC'ers... GOOD LUCK!

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 9:00pm
post #12 of 21

Go to youtube and check out how aine2 makes trees out of fondant.........she cuts them with scissors!!!!!!!!! Easy!!!!!!!

susan

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 9:02pm
post #13 of 21

here ya go:

Ayanami Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 9:03pm
post #14 of 21

I have just been tipped off to a youtube video of a super easy way to make trees. I'm going to try it & I'll post when I'm done.

Still need more ideas though, so keep 'em comin. icon_lol.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 9:06pm
post #15 of 21

pretzel rod shoved into a conical shape of modeling chocolate the snip the chocolate to form the branches, or pretzel rod into an ice cream cone(conical ones(?))(you can even 'glue' multiple cones together with icing for taller trees) then pipe either with leaf tip or star tip or even the grass tip, or pretzel rod into rkt then dipped into melted green candy melts or branches piped on with b/c and a leaf or star tip or even the grass tip....that works for taller ones. For shorter ones, same but without the pretzel rod.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 9:11pm
post #16 of 21

For the little trees, I use "Bugles'....... they are already cones, and are easy to decorate......

dellboi2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellboi2u Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 9:15pm
post #17 of 21

I use 3 different sized stars and stack them on tooth picks or lolly pop sticks, depending on the size I want.... in my pictures I have examples

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 9:16pm
post #18 of 21

Sorry, I got a little tied up. They use BC & start out @ the bottom & work your way up.

Kim040508 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim040508 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 9:19pm
post #19 of 21

I just watched the Youtube tree, That's really an easy way to do trees! I would have never thought of that! Thanks to whoever it was that just recomended that video.

Kim040508 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim040508 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 9:20pm
post #20 of 21

I just watched the Youtube tree, That's really an easy way to do trees! I would have never thought of that! Thanks to whoever it was that just recomended that video.

Ayanami Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 2:51pm
post #21 of 21

I made 10 of those YouTube trees last night & they are freakin awesome! icon_cool.gif They were tedious & time consuming, but hey, what isn't in the world of cake deco?

I used a 50/50 mix of gumpaste & precolored fondant then followed her instructions. I used candy sticks to shove up into the tree & I plan on using the candy sticks to impail the trees into the cake. They dried to the touch in about 15 minutes & I checked them again this morning b4 I left for work & they were good & hard. I plan on misting them with water & sprinkling them w/ PS for a snowy effect. I will post a pic when it's all done.

Next question/problem. How do I make a gumpaste figure? They want a little man skiing down the mountian, but I have never attempted a GP figure b4 & I don't have the foggiest how to begin.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%