Oooozing Ri

Baking By cakedesigner59 Updated 17 Nov 2008 , 3:36am by cakedesigner59

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 9

Whenever I put my RI in a parchment bag with a tip, the icing ooozes out from the edges around the tip, runs down the tip and messes everything up. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get a snug fit with the tip in a parchment bag. Any hints/suggestions?

8 replies
shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 9

are you using coupler with the screw thingie attachment? (Sorry for the technical term) icon_wink.gif

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 9

That's happend to me before, and what happens is that, if you just throw the tip in w/out the coupler and your parchment bag isn't made so that it wraps around good and you kinda have a gap in the opening, this happens. So what I do is use the wilton technique where you make the W on top of parchment and make 3 tears after I've folded in down before filling and and now I don't even use coupler or tip anymore I just cut the tip off of the bag before using depending on what I'm doing.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 9

Definitely use a coupler and when you cut your hole for the tip, don't cut it too big. I like cutting the hole just big enough so that about 1/2 to 2/3 of the tip fits through the hole. That way when you put your coupler on, it goes on OVER the piping bag and keeps that bag nice and tight around your tip so nothing oozes out.

cakedesigner59 Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 7:59pm
post #5 of 9

Sorry to be dense...but I'm talking about parchment bags (disposable) not decorating/pastry bags (I always use couplers with them, unless I'm using a jumbo tip). Are you all saying I should use a coupler in a parchment bag?

angelatx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelatx Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 8:03pm
post #6 of 9

i always use a coupler with the parchment. i hadn't tried it without tho. mine has never wanted to come out the sides tho. goodluck tho!! icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 8:17pm
post #7 of 9

I had this problem the first time I used RI.Mine was too thin,so I added more p. sugar and rewhipped it for a few min. I used the disposable deco. bags.After I got the icing stiff enough they worked fine,oh and I did use the coupler with my tip. icon_smile.gif

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 2:38am
post #8 of 9

I never use a coupler with a tip and parchment bag. Could be that your royal is too thin but more likely that when you cut the parchment bag, you may be cutting it too much. For me I cut the bag so 1/2 to 3/4 of the tip sticks out.

cakedesigner59 Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 3:36am
post #9 of 9

I'm pretty much a newbie at it, but I think it's at the right flow consistency. And I tried cutting the opening smaller, so that only the very tippy part sticks out. It goooshes everywhere. Waaaaaah.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%