Cake Recipe For Baby's First Birthday Cake? Maybe Healthier?

Baking By Baking_Booth Updated 17 Nov 2008 , 5:45am by Jayde

Baking_Booth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking_Booth Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 7

I'm looking for a recipe for my nephew's first birthday. I was hoping for something tasty, not chocolate, that's maybe healthier, has less sugar, won't give him the runs, etc..... icon_lol.gif
I thought about using a diabetic recipe perhaps? But what about frosting? I need something that will hold its shape a little for "star" frosting.
Any ideas?

6 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 7

Diabetic recipes aren't generally recommended for infants and toddlers...

Here's a similar thread on diabetic cakes for small children:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-604817-.html

Here's a similar thread on diabetic frosting for small children:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-609067-.html

Healthy cake recipes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-576938-.html

HTH

Baking_Booth Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for the info? Why don't they recommend diabetic cakes for kids? Maybe I should have said sugar-free instead. icon_rolleyes.gif I think that's what I meant. lol
Thanks again!

Baking_Booth Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 3:52pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the info? icon_redface.gif Wow, I sound like a smart @$$. Sorry I meant Thanks for the info!!! icon_biggrin.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 4:11pm
post #5 of 7

I've used banana cake before for toddlers, it has less sugar because of the natural sweetness of bananas, and you can always use fructose for the sugar in the recipe as it's a much healthier sweetener. Diabetic cakes are often riddled with artifical sweeteners (ditto sugar-free) such as aspartame and the like, and these shouldn't be touched with a 10-foot barge pole by anyone who values their health (sorry, will get off my soapbox now!).

Baking_Booth Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 5:17pm
post #6 of 7

lol, you're funny, that's what I figured. Banana cake sounds good.
Do you know a frosting recipe that might be good? I usually use butter cream but I didn't know if there was one with less sugar that you can still decorate with?
Thanks!

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 5:45am
post #7 of 7

I ditto keeping kids away from artifical sweeteners.

Pumpkin cake, banana cake, applesauce cake, lemon cake, orange cake, strawberry cake, pretty much anything that has fruit in it is a little on the healthier side, because like the PP said the fruit makes it naturally sweet. Also if you add a bit of sugar, and a pinch of salt to the fruit it healps bring the juices out, and you can use that natural juice to sweeten your cake.

I find SMBC (swiss meringue butter cream) to be lighter in sugar, and not so sweet, IMBC (italian meringue butter cream) also, althought I dont use it as much. Just make sure that you dont have any egg allergies. You can flavor either of those icings however you like, by adding extract or natural fruit juice.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%