Cheesecake Help Needed!!!!

Decorating By mandabear76 Updated 14 Nov 2008 , 9:47pm by Sandy2008

mandabear76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandabear76 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 5

I'm not sure just what I did but it's happened before so I could use as much help as possible. jI made a pumpkin cheesecake and I cooked it to the directions specifications. Half way through it cooking it began to sink. The sides are higher than the rest of the cake. So basily yeah, it sunk. What did I do wrong? Did I cook it to long? It tastes fine but looks like it belongs in the reject pile. HELP!!!!

4 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 5

Welcome to Cake Central. some cheese cake recipes can be difficult, most are easy. You may have over beated your batter, causing it to rise too far too fast, then sink. It won't hurt the taste, but it may look odd.

If you try this one again, lower the oven temp and bake it a bit longer.

In an emergency you can recover this to use it. If the sunken part is at least an inch thick, trim the high edges to be a bit more level, then cover the whole thing in piped whipped cream. lightly dust it with something like cinnamon or even cocoa.. You can also sprinkle chopped nuts.

Call it a tart.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnnB

Welcome to Cake Central. some cheese cake recipes can be difficult, most are easy. You may have over beated your batter, causing it to rise too far too fast, then sink. It won't hurt the taste, but it may look odd.

If you try this one again, lower the oven temp and bake it a bit longer.

In an emergency you can recover this to use it. If the sunken part is at least an inch thick, trim the high edges to be a bit more level, then cover the whole thing in piped whipped cream. lightly dust it with something like cinnamon or even cocoa.. You can also sprinkle chopped nuts.

Call it a tart.

Yep that would be my bet also.

Mike

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 5

It's funny that you had this issue with the pumpkin cheesecake too. I can make beautiful NY cheesecake, choc. chip cheesecake, choc. fudge cheesecake etc. and they come out perfect everytime. Whenever I make pumpkin cheesecake, it ALWAYS sinks. I've lowered the oven temp., I've even tried placing a pan of water in the rack under the one the cheesecake is cooking on.......nothing works. I'm wondering if the pumpkin is just too dense. It tastes great, but I hate that it sinks.

I'd love to know if anyone else has a pumpkin cheesecake recipe that you've had good luck with. I'll be making another for Thanksgiving.

Sandy2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandy2008 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 9:47pm
post #5 of 5

My husband makes great cheesecakes. He puts his inside a water bath. He says this makes the cooking start at the center and work outwards. That might help the sinking issue??????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%