Please Help My First Wedding Cake

Decorating By hails Updated 15 Nov 2008 , 3:02am by momma28

hails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hails Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 1:04pm
post #1 of 6

Good morning guys, hope you are having a super day.
So my friend has asked me to make her daughters wedding cake.
I told her I am no expert at this I am self taught, and just make cakes for family and friends, but she has seen my cakes and likes them. I am not charging her anything, but I want to
do a great job for them.It is for 100 people and she wants three tiered square cakes, and cupcakes awwwwwwwwwwww. Guys please any help you can throw my way will be greatly appreciated I made a small three tiered Christining cake for my nephews Christining I did not use support or cardboard between the layers but I am sure I will have to do it on this one as it is going to be bigger.Thanks again for your time and inputt.
Have a super day Hails icon_smile.gif

5 replies
stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 6

Holy cow, you got lucky on that cake!!!! Most definitely use cardboard and support between each tier and a center dowel, maybe look at SPS since it is a wedding cake. Square cakes are very heavy so make sure you use a sturdy base too.
One other thing I would suggest is looking through the square cake gallery and I think it's called the petit four gallery, I went through that one the other night and there are alot of cute cupcake displays. That will give you so many ideas!
Good Luck!

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 2:41pm
post #3 of 6

WHOA! How lucky are you? Please make sure and dowel (or whatever your choice of support is) the wedding cake. Square cakes are my least favorite because I like to have the corners sharp and it drives me crazy. I look at several videos before I start one. Hopefully some day I will be able to master them. I would suggest you travel with the tiers separated and dowel them once you get there. If the cake will not be moved once it is set up you wouldn't have to dowel it necessarily. Just make sure whoever is cutting it knows it so they won't accidentally move a tier while cutting it.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 3:04pm
post #4 of 6

stephaniescakenj was right - you got incrediably lucky stacking a cake without support. Please don't assume that good luck will stike twice, though.

If we can get you started out right with SPS, you will soon be a maaster of tiered cakes. And you can deliver it mostly or completely assembled.

A three tier square cake 6/8/10 already provides 100 servings, so the cupcakes are just extra. Or maybe they are saving the top tier?

hails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hails Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks ladies

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 3:02am
post #6 of 6

wow I agree what luck not having that first cake sink. I do not use sps but plan on learning how one of these days :0 I am a cardboard round and wood dowel girl. Has worked for me so far.

Good luck. Im sure you will do beautifully. My first wedding cake was for my friends daughter (my first stacked cake ever) and there were 350 people to serve so I had to make extra cake. I know you want it to be perfect because you know them. Focus on flavor and keep the design simple and you'll be fine icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%