Cutting A Castle Cake

Decorating By mom23kids Updated 16 Nov 2008 , 2:32am by miny

mom23kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom23kids Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 2:09am
post #1 of 8

This may sound dumb..but how would I cut into the castle cake? Would the top tier be on a cake board...therefore would I take top tier off and cut pieces that way...or would it be sturdy enough to cut if it's still on the bottom tier? Sounds dumb but I'm new to the stacking/doweling thing...thank you for any help. icon_smile.gif

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 2:43am
post #2 of 8

There are no dumb ?s icon_smile.gif If you don't know the answer you have to ask someone who can answer it.
There are many different castle designs. Most are tiered cakes. That means each tier sits on a cake board so yes, you would take it apart. Basically one would cut it like a wedding cake.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 2:51am
post #3 of 8

I think it depends if it's sturdy enough, I never separate my tiers to cut, but my higher cakes are 3 tiers only and I use 5 big fat dowels on each tier and works perfect for me, (since I cut the cakes must of the time) and I try not to put a ton of pressure when cutting just enough to cut the cake. HTH

mom23kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom23kids Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 4:52am
post #4 of 8

Thank you both for your help. This is my first 'big' cake and with everyone watching I wanted to make sure I cut it the right way.

012202210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
012202210 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 8

just so you know...i've thought of questions like that too!!

I'm making a lighthouse cake, and i'm not really sure if i should cut into the lighthouse first or the base!!

miny Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 5:45am
post #6 of 8

Well, I'll think the lighthouse will be taller than 3 tiers, you will need to take apart the tiers before cutting it, I wouldn't risk it with a very tall and narrow cake.

012202210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
012202210 Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 11:23am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by miny

Well, I'll think the lighthouse will be taller than 3 tiers, you will need to take apart the tiers before cutting it, I wouldn't risk it with a very tall and narrow cake.

really? hmmm.. i was gonna cover the whole thing in 1 big sheet of fondant.. it would be about 13"-14" tall..

miny Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 2:32am
post #8 of 8

Oh, I tought it'd be a tall cake icon_redface.gif , then you should not have that problem, as I said, I never take my tiers apart and it's been fine up to now (hope I didn't jinx it) icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%