Using Fillings

Decorating By veronique Updated 14 Nov 2008 , 6:28pm by JanH

veronique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronique Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 4

I need a little advice. I made a chocolate cake for a friend who requested that in between the layers there be a raspberry fruit filling. I spread a layer of seedless raspberry jam in between each torte layer ( 3 in total). I then covered the cake in a chocolate buttercream before placing the fondant on top. My friend said she couldn't taste the raspberry filling. I think it all soaked into the cake. When I asked her if the cake was soggy she said no but that there was no filling in between the layers? Any suggestions as to how to avoid this next time?

3 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 4

Welcome to Cake Central. I often use the same thing for filling. You may have been a bit stingy with the filling to avoid having it squeeze out. I put a generous dam of icing around the perimeter and try to use enough, but not too much filling.

Even if it soaked into the cake, she should still have been able to taste it. Also, be sure to use a good quality jam.

Sweetlepea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetlepea Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 4

I always always alyways do this.. Make a damn of icing around the edge of the cake layers, to hold the filling in. I've had the spillage out of the sides from stacking. Ever since then, I damn everything in! Works great icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnnB

Welcome to Cake Central. I often use the same thing for filling. You may have been a bit stingy with the filling to avoid having it squeeze out. I put a generous dam of icing around the perimeter and try to use enough, but not too much filling.

Even if it soaked into the cake, she should still have been able to taste it. Also, be sure to use a good quality jam.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 4

Hi and Welcome on your 1st post, veronique. icon_smile.gif

Everything you ever wanted to know about making your 1st tiered/stacked/layer cake:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

This thread has cake and frosting recipes, baking and decorating help and so much more.

Also included are charts which give filling amount recommendations based on size of cake layers.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%