Wilton Wonder Mold Question

Decorating By cakebaker1978 Updated 14 Nov 2008 , 2:12pm by KHalstead

cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 9

Hi,

I am doing a wilton wonder mold cake and I am laying it on it's side to make a strawberry. How safe/easy would it be to torte(spelled right?) it? I want to put a strawberry filling in it but I am worried about it not looking right after it is put back together to make a strawberry. I am also worried about the whole thing crumbling!! What should I do?

8 replies
cakebaker1978 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 9

anyone??? icon_cry.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 7:04pm
post #3 of 9

not sure about the torting......but I can tell you a way to get some strawberry filling in there

Just do a nice swirl on top of the cake batter when you put it in the oven, when it bakes some of the filling will fall down into the cake (not sure how this happens, but it works) and when the cake is cut it will have a swirl of strawberry filling all the way through it! It's really kind of amazing how it works

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 7:17pm
post #4 of 9

I don't think people normally torte the wondermold. If you're going to lay it on it's side, you would need to cut part of the bottom so it would sit stable, and then you could maybe cut it in 1/2 horizontally and put a layer of filling in it. But other than one layer of filling I would not risk it.

I like the idea of baking the filling in, if you used a strawberry preserve or something or even pie filling. I do this with choclate cake and cherry pie filling, just bake it right in and then you don't have to worry about.

pkinkema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkinkema Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 7:23pm
post #5 of 9

How about filling it like a cupcake?? Just squirting some filling in?

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 7:27pm
post #6 of 9

I've torted it using two different recipes, but upright like for the dolls. I didn't have any trouble with either. One had jello in it so I didn't expect to have trouble there, but the other was just a regular box mix. I had three layers.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 7:28pm
post #7 of 9

I actually just torted the wonder mold cake myself a couple of weeks ago. I actually did it twice.. I made little dolls for my friend who just had twins. Anyway, I cut off the bottom, to make it even. Then I used my leveler to cut the cake into 3 sections of the same size. I took a knife and cut into the cake vertically (to make sure I would know how the slices would line back up). Then I took each layer and filled it in with icing.. and put it back together. And then did everything else like normal. It worked out just perfect for me! And I think it was a little tastier because I put the simple syrup and the icing inside. =o)

cakebaker1978 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 12:20am
post #8 of 9

Thanks everyone!! I think I am going to go for it! I made some yummy strawberry/cool whip/jello/cream cheese filling. It is heavenly! It must go in a strawberry cake!!!Thanks again and wish me luck! haha. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 2:12pm
post #9 of 9

lol @ "it must go in a strawberry cake !!!!" to funny!! Sounds awesome though!!! By the way there IS a strawberry cake in the gallery made with the wondermold on it's side...........wonder if they torted it????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%