I've Been Asked To Demo At A School.......

Decorating By HannahLass Updated 13 Nov 2008 , 2:09pm by DerrellC

HannahLass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahLass Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 10:17am
post #1 of 3

Hi, Right my brother works in a school and ws talking to the Home Economics teacher about my cakes. She has invited me to go into the school and show the kids cake decorating. This isnt by business it's just a hobby I have been doing for less than a year which I'm OK at but not great. I work full time and public speaking is my worst nightmare. I dont know what to do. Please help.
HanXX

2 replies
Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 1:14pm
post #2 of 3

Well, what does the teacher want? If you don't like being in front of a bunch of kids staring at you, as the teacher about each one having their own small cake to work on. Or, better yet each one a cupcake.

I would give it kinda simple, but not at a childs level. I bet they would look to see some fondant. Maybe let them use some molds or freehand some things. Show them how to add two colors to a bag an swirl the colors together. You could work on a larger cake showing them things, as they work.

Good Luck, it will go great! I have talked before in front of a Home Ec class, honestly most of them didn't care that I was even there. I only had the attention from maybe a few of them.

Let us know how it goes!! Katie thumbs_up.gif

DerrellC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DerrellC Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 3

My wife has been going to the day of sharing/career day for 4 or 5 years now.Amazing to watch a bunch of 3 rd graders get excited about trying new things. She bakes and frosts XX number of cupcakes,takes premade decorations and helps the kids decorate their own "cake". It's great to see her smile when she gets home after one of these days.I ask her why shes so happy and she said"think about it,I just fed 25 kids cake, chocolate,jelly beans and shook them up and I got to leave" POOR TEACHER !!!!!!! LOL HANNA, GO FOR IT I think you will enjoy it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%