Argh!!! A Tear! A Tear!!!

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 16 Nov 2008 , 2:58am by ECSCOOKS

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 2:51am
post #1 of 19

So, big dummy that I am, I covered my cakes in fondant (made Latanwa's white chocolate fondant), smoothed it out, got it all perfect and pretty to begin adding the final details ... and my tool caught on the fondant, digging right into it when I was scooting the cake in to keep it out of harm's way icon_mad.gif . I smoothed it back out as best I could and tried to repair it, but it pulled the fondant pretty good, stretching it out and leaving only a thin bit to work with. To make matters worse, it's right at the union between two cakes (which, in this particular design, was supposed to be smooth, not covered by a rim or piping or anything), so now there's a big ugly crease of thin fondant right at the union, probably 3/8 inch long. Argh! Any huge groundbreaking ideas from our very very talented CC community that would help me smooth this over a little better would be much appreciated. Again, what gets me is the particular location, right at the angle between the bottom tier and the half ball tier on top of it. Argh!

18 replies
lifonahil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lifonahil Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 5:14am
post #2 of 19

Sorry i can't help but here is a bump.

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 8:07pm
post #3 of 19

bump... sorry i can't help...

any flowers on the cake? other accents? just cover it!!

it it is the "dread" smooth white cake... sorry I can't help icon_smile.gif

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 8:12pm
post #4 of 19

Can't you just use that side as the back of the cake instead of the front?

emiyeric Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 1:27am
post #5 of 19

Heehee, thank you for all the bumps! icon_smile.gif It's actually a corset cake for a lingerie party for a friend of mine, and this would be the top of the left breast, so too far up to put lace on. Still, I've continued to work at it, and hopefully it won't be TOO noticeable once the whole thing's done. Now I'm just worried that the thing was better off before the luster dust. Anyhow! Thanks again for the help! icon_biggrin.gif

-Emi.

SILVERCAT Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 1:48am
post #6 of 19

What about a tattoo on the rip?

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 2:01am
post #7 of 19

spackle with bc or rotyal

emiyeric Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 3:34am
post #8 of 19

Buahahahaha, I love the idea of a tatoo! Not quite the feel I'm going for (I'll post a picture of this once it's all said and done, so you can see what I mean), but I ADORE the creativity of it! icon_lol.gif

I hadn't thought of spackling with buttercream ... I guess at this point, anything would be better than having that ugly thin spot. I'm a little trepidacious about the idea of trying to get my buttercream tint to match the fondant tint, but I can spend a little time experimenting and see what comes of it.

Thanks again for the suggestions! I'll be sure to show the end results tomorrow when I finish it all icon_smile.gif.

-Emi.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 3:36am
post #9 of 19

Ha!!! I was just thinking tatoo when I scrolled down to silvercat's response!!

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 4:00am
post #10 of 19

I hate it when that happens! However, if you are like me you will spend so much time trying to repair it and it will haunt you to the point of redoing it. However, would it be possible to cut the portion of the fondant out down to the lace (I am assuming here) and only redo that portion of the fondant? Where it connects you can add lace to cover the seam. Not sure if this will work since I can't see the cake. Good luck and be sure and post the image.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 4:02am
post #11 of 19

Spackling works excellent especially if you use like a business card or insurance card to gently smooth it out.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 4:03am
post #12 of 19

Good luck! I'm scared of fondant for that reason! Cant wait to see a pic!

emiyeric Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 4:40am
post #13 of 19

Okay!! Decided to just get it over with and tackle the spackle, hee hee ...

I just posted a picture of the cake, which I probably should have taken in daylight, since it looks pretty harsh with the stinkin' flash. But regardless, the spackling worked like a charm, and it's at least not the very first thing you see anymore when looking at the thing thumbs_up.gif . I have a "close-up" shot of the top of the breasts, where the tear was, so you can tell me what you think. It's in my photos ...

Thanks again so so much for your help!!! YAY!!! Off to get some work done for a meeting in the morning, and then some ironing icon_smile.gif.

-Emi.

rachel-b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachel-b Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 4:52am
post #14 of 19

A tear...WHERE??? I looked at the pic for a while and couldn't spot it. I'm impressed with both your cake decorating and spackling abilities.

emiyeric Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 5:29am
post #15 of 19

Thanks so much!!! I SO appreciated the tips!!! You can actually see it more in person, I think, but it did help tremendously.

emiyeric Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 2:05pm
post #16 of 19

Okay, I just saw it in the light of day, and while the tear is still noticeable if you're looking, the color blended better than I had hoped. I should know better than to try to match tints at nighttime by artificial light! icon_smile.gif

Dinny2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dinny2222 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 9:59pm
post #17 of 19

LOVE the cake! Great job and I can't see any repair work. Everyone will be in awe of the cake anyway!

SILVERCAT Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 1:33am
post #18 of 19

I don't see anything wrong with, AWESOME repair and work!

ECSCOOKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ECSCOOKS Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 2:58am
post #19 of 19

great cake - can you send me instructions? Thanx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%