Fondant Problems

Decorating By hockeymom5 Updated 13 Nov 2008 , 11:56pm by kandu001

hockeymom5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hockeymom5 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 11:06pm
post #1 of 7

The cake is due tomorrow and I am having big problems. Everytime I get the fondant rolled out so it is not sticking to the mat, it falls apart as I am trying to put it on the cake. I have had to reroll, knead etc at least 5 times. I put it away for the night, to let myself and the fondant rest. I am trying to put it on a 11" layered cake. Any help or idea would be appreciated.

6 replies
kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 12:56am
post #2 of 7

I would try rolling it out on top of parchment paper, or vinyl if you have some. Make sure to dust your surface with powdered sugar so it won't stick.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 1:08am
post #3 of 7

Definately on thick vinyl (tablecloth thickness). Then you can pick up the whole thing, flip it over onto the cake & peel off the vinyl.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 1:15am
post #4 of 7

Sounds like you may be rolling it too thin. For an 11-inch round 4-inch high cake, I'd start with about 2-1/2 - 3 lbs. of fondant.

I don't recommend using powdered sugar when rolling out fondant. The fondant absorbs the sugar and could cause it to dry out. This is a particularly common problem among new fondant users who find themselves reworking their fondant several times.

Instead, use cornstarch. It's slippery, so your fondant slides over more than it absorbs. And you don't need to use very much.

Have you tried the method where you MAKE the fondant stick to the mat? Use nothing or a little bit of shortening to roll out your fondant. Then, flip the entire mat onto the cake. Peel off the mat, leaving the fondant on the cake. Don't use too much shortening or it will be difficult to smooth.

lifonahil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lifonahil Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 5:23am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Definately on thick vinyl (tablecloth thickness). Then you can pick up the whole thing, flip it over onto the cake & peel off the vinyl.

thats the way i do it. So much easier.

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 4:36pm
post #6 of 7

What kind of fondant are you using? When I used to use MMF I used crisco to grease the vinyl shower curtain piece, then flipped the whole thing over. Worked great. Now I'm using Michele Foster's fondant and I used powdered sugar and the fondant stuck to the mat and I was hating life! I ended up running out of corn starch, but it worked. I'm not sure if you can use Crisco with Michele's fondant or other types besides MMF.

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 11:56pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

I don't recommend using powdered sugar when rolling out fondant. The fondant absorbs the sugar and could cause it to dry out. This is a particularly common problem among new fondant users who find themselves reworking their fondant several times.

I'm not a new fondant user and I find powdered sugar works well. I wouldn't douse your surface, but if you dust it you will be fine. Maybe it's because I make my own fondant that it works for me, but...?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%