Convection Oven Question

Decorating By suz3 Updated 17 Nov 2008 , 2:48am by RobzC8kz

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 16

I just got a new oven (YEAH!!!!). It has the convection option. I know some people love theirs and others hate it. I just want to know any hints for making it work well so that I can have a love relationship with this new oven. I'm sorta scared to use it! thumbs_up.gifthumbsdown.gif

15 replies
luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 3:56am
post #2 of 16

I have one and hate it. Sorry. I have heard that it's GREAT for roasting, but not for baking.

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 1:20pm
post #3 of 16

We baked in out convection ovens at school. We baked @300- for a decorated cake, lower for other dessert, and turned the fans off!!

You could always tell a cake that had baked with the fans off, they were really leaning!! icon_redface.gif

Different recipes will require a difference in temps, but generally always turn it back at least 50'

Once you get used to it, you'll love it!! My cake decorating teacher said to wrap cakes that baked in convection oven with bake even strips or wet towels. I never did, still worked for me.

Good Luck!! thumbs_up.gif

Happy Baking- Katie icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 16

I don't know what I'd do without my convection oven. I totally love it! I can load it up with lots of cake pans at the same time, 3 or 4 sheets of cookies . . . you get the idea. Best.Invention.Evah!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 1:44pm
post #5 of 16

I just started using my convection feature after 3 years of being afraid. Yes, I always use it for cooking large meals, but never for baking. I read a post here on CC about the use of convection for cakes and decided to put my fears to rest. I used it this weekend because I had lots of baking to do. I used it for cookies, cheesecakes and cakes (layers and bundts). I could have just kicked myself for waiting all this time to try it. All my baking cake out just beautiful. My oven has settings for convection bake, and and easy convection bake conversion feature. Try it, you may love it.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 1:44pm
post #6 of 16

I use the convection ovens at the church and SOMETIMES have a problem with uneven baking, but, I think we just need it to be calibrated. I LOVE IT for cinnamon rolls! I put the fans on HIGH and watch those babies PLUMP UP! MMMMMM! Is that cinnamon I smell?

Beth in KY

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 5:47pm
post #7 of 16

What brand does everyone have? We're putting a whirlpool in our new house and I'd love to know if anyone is using that brand and how they like it.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 8:02pm
post #8 of 16

Mine's a GE.

tyty Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 8:11pm
post #9 of 16

Kitchenaid Suberba

luvbakin Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 1:18am
post #10 of 16

Mine is a kitchenaid suberba too. Maybe I should give it another try. tyty, do you lower your temp by 50 degrees also???

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 2:12am
post #11 of 16

what leahs said. It's real common for me to bake 10-14 single layers of cake, have them mixed, baked and saran'd in the freezer inside of 3 hours.

Can't do that in a regular oven.

tyty Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 1:49pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbakin

Mine is a kitchenaid suberba too. Maybe I should give it another try. tyty, do you lower your temp by 50 degrees also???

Yes. I do lower the temp to 300. If you use the convection conversion feature, it tells you to put in the standard time and temp and converts it for you.

luvbakin Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 4:07pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyty

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbakin

Yes. I do lower the temp to 300. If you use the convection conversion feature, it tells you to put in the standard time and temp and converts it for you.

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 10:16pm
post #14 of 16

I have a Kenmore.

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 10:41pm
post #15 of 16

I have had a Frigidaire since July and love it! I use mine primarily for knocking out multiple trays of cookies and sheet cakes. I haven't yet tried it for round cakes. Although mine has the convection convert option on it, the one time I tried it, I didn't think it worked as well as just using convection bake. I don't change the temperature for my cookies or cakes, and they have been just fine. It is probably a trial and error thing with each oven. The only thing that did not work for me was a cheesecake. It got too done on the outside before finishing up in the center. I ended up having to remake it using just a normal bake cycle in a hot water bath.

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 2:48am
post #16 of 16

I love mine! The fans circulate the heat evenly around the oven and everything bakes evenly! I forgot to turn it on the other day and the cakes on the top rack were nice and done and the ones on the bottom were not even close to being cooked!

Love it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%