Wedding And Party Serving Differences...why?

Decorating By __Jamie__ Updated 13 Nov 2008 , 12:38am by indydebi

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 6

Someone asked me today why there is a difference between a wedding size serving of cake, and party size. I didn't have a real good answer for her. I said that I thought it was because there are usually other desserts at a wedding, therefore you didn't need to serve as much wedding cake?? Yikes! I got stumped! I know someone will come along with a great answer. Thanks!

5 replies
pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 9:09pm
post #2 of 6

I would say you were right with the answer you gave.

__Jamie__ Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 9:48pm
post #3 of 6

I hope that is good enough...makes sense to me.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 10:22pm
post #4 of 6

Most wedding have other food......not necessarily other desserts.
But, actually there isn't a difference. Most sheet cakes servings are based on a 2x2x2 cube. A wedding serving is 1x2x4 - exactly the same amount of cakeicon_smile.gif
I have always said one cake mix will serve 20. It will make 24 cupcakes and that is usually considered a generous serving.
Many yrs ago one cake mix was said to serve only 8-10 but today people don't eat that much (that big a piece).

__Jamie__ Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 10:25pm
post #5 of 6

Oh that reminds me...I called the bakery in my town the other day, really, I mean "the bakery in my town" (only one worth mentioning), and asked them their prices on a simple 6" cake. Nevermind what they gave me as a price went, but the lady said, a six inch cake is a teeny tiny cake...it's only 4 servings. Gads! A six inch cake quartered??? How piggish would that be??!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 12:38am
post #6 of 6

Jamie, my mouth dropped open at that! What a way to get people to buy more cake! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Agree with kakeladi .... most weddings (at least that I've been to) do not have a dessert AND wedding cake.

If someone asked me why there was a difference, I'd tell them, "Because if they convince you to cut the cake bigger, then they can convince you to buy a bigger cake "...so you'll have enough." There is no real difference .... you can cut a cake any dang size you want to." icon_twisted.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%