I've Been Thrown Under The Bus!

Decorating By Carolynlovescake Updated 13 Nov 2008 , 5:21am by lifonahil

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 10

Hubby volunteered me do a cake for his team with this theme. His team is having issues with the sales department.

He told his supervisor "my wife needs to do a "thrown under the bus cake theme for us". Needless to say his supervisor is waiting anxiously to see what I come up with.

I have never carved a cake so I'm thinking of doing a painting on BC instead.

So does anyone have their creative juices flowing on how I can do this theme?

I also want to come up with something diabetic friendly (I'm thinking angel food cake with a sugar free drizzle of some sort over the top for them) as he's got a few team members who cake eat what ever I bring in so it's going to be a busy baking week for me.

9 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 10

Have you seen the truck cakes? Basically a hunk of cake, wheels on the sides and minimally carved to create a cab in the front. Not a difficult shape, really, and I don't carve cakes.

So do that, cover in yellow fondant (OK I was thinking school bus, so cover it in whatever color your city buses are) , and cut fondant squares for the windows (can paint them silver-ish) add bumpers etc. Then make legs and shoes and put that under the bus like someone literally got thrown under the bus.

DerrellC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DerrellC Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 10

Hi Carolyn, I think with your knowlage you should be able to pull off a great looking school bus. Should be pretty simple to build,stack cakes and basic square cut sides and then carve down to make w/sheild and hood. You didn't say how many it needed to serve, so maybe you could do a "short bus" LOL good luck ,I'm SURE you can make a great looking cake. Derrell

DerrellC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DerrellC Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 10

Carolyn, type "school bus" in search area. A bunch of good looking cakes will pop up. As Leahs said,subsitute colors,markings to fit your need.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 10

Leah I was thinking the same thing but he outlawed fondant just after I posted.

The bugger hates it and thus makes me perfect the art of BC any chance he gets.

I don't mind trying to carve since ya'll have made it sound simple enough but I have absolutely no recipes for this kind of thing.

Anyone have a tried and true they recommend?

He would like chocolate and I know another co worker of theirs loves white.

It will be needing to feed about 20.

So with that said

what size pans am I going to need to get this bad boy done?

Now that I think about it... maybe a sheet cake with a RKT fondant covered bus on the front! Now that is something I think I could handle!

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 9:03pm
post #6 of 10

Instead of fondant, you could cover the cake in yellow ganache. Wilton makes the melts in different colors.

If you're feeling really adventurous, you could make a few people out of fondant and have it look like there are three or four of them holding a person getting ready to throw them at the bus.

I would LOVE to see the final cake as this is a phrase that my husband's office uses all the time.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 11:18pm
post #7 of 10

I like Leahs' idea about making little people and literally throwing them under the bus. Doesn't he know that there will be buttercream in between the layers and under the fondant? Fondant is definitely my favorite medium. Don't forget to post a picture!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 1:29am
post #8 of 10

......have absolutely no recipes for this kind of thing.....Anyone have a tried and true they recommend?......He would like chocolate and I know another co worker of theirs loves white.......It will be needing to feed about 20......

Here's what you need for the cake. It makes enough batter as if you used 1 & 1/2 cake mixes; it's perfect for carving cake when it has been chilled. Since you want white & choco I would remove part of the batter & add Unsweetened cocoa to it. Either use a dam to seperate the batters OR make it a marble cakeicon_smile.gif A 10" sq OR 9x13 pan should give you ample servings.

The *original* WASC cake recipe by kakeladi
1 box cake mix (I prefere Betty Crocker) *see notes at end
1 cup flour
1 cup granulated sugar
generous dash of salt

1 cup sour cream
1 cup water *
3 whole eggs
1 tablespoon flavoring*
In bowl mix together dry ingredients. It's helpful if you use a wire wisk, but optional. In mixer bowl place next 3 ingredients. Add about 1/2 of the dry ingredients and blend together, then add the rest of the dry ingredients & blend. Mix for 2 minutes.
Pour into prepared pans * and bake as usual.

*NOTES: any cake flavor can be used. Match the flavoring to the cake flavor such use lemon/almond mix for lemon cake; strawberry for a strawberry cake etc, etc. For most flavors you can use a mixture of vanilla, butter, and almond which is what I do most of the time.
You can use milk, cream or even juice for the liquid.
This recipe is based on mixing in a kitchenaid mixer. I use position #1 to stir it, then #4 or 5 to mix the batter.
Most of the time I forget to add the salticon_smile.gif
On rare occasions I have used other brands of mix.
This makes the amount of batter as if you used 1 1/2 mixes and is perfect for a 10" sq OR 9x13 OR two 8" or three 6" round; or a 12" round; and other combinations of pans.
I prefere to bake at 300 degrees for about 20-30 minutes (depending on size of cake) then turn oven up to 325 for about an equal time. Use your nose - if you smell it most likely it is done. If cake has pulled away from sides it is overbaked After cooling, the top might be a bit sticky.
The flavoring I most often use is this mixture:
1 part vanilla extract
1/2 part butter flavoring
1/4 part almond flavoring

A "Part" is any measure be it teaspoon; tablespoon; cup or quart. Since I made many wedding cakes I usually mixed it up by the cup about once a monthicon_smile.gif

Some people have told me they use yogurt instead of sour cream....I never tried that.
And that's right.......there is NO oil/butter/margerine used in this recipe.

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 1:33am
post #9 of 10

if by "he doesn't like fondant" means your husband, then i say go with fondant or whatever YOU want to do...HE LOST HIS CHANCE AT INPUT AS SOON AS HE OPENED HIS MOUTH AND VOLUNTEERED YOU!

lifonahil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lifonahil Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 5:21am
post #10 of 10

I say use fondant. Just add a good layer of buttercream underneth so they can peel it off if they don't like it. That is what i do. I do it all the time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%