White Cake

Decorating By cakebaker1978 Updated 12 Nov 2008 , 5:39pm by Chippi

cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 9

Does anyone have a great recipe for white cake? I am putting strawberry filling but I need a good super moist white cake. I already bought a white cake mix so maybe a recipe that includes the mix? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

8 replies
Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 9

White Almond Sour Cream Cake (recipe on this site) is really good. Starts with a white cake mix and you add additional ingredients.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 9

can't go wrong with the tried and true! WASC is the way to go!

cakebaker1978 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 9

I am not a big fan of the almond extract.....could you use butter flavor extract instead??

tmt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmt Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:45pm
post #6 of 9

I use the cake mix doctor's white sour cream cake. it is cheaper to make than WASC

cakebaker1978 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:49pm
post #7 of 9

tmt,

Do have that recipe handy??Could I take a look at it? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 5:00pm
post #8 of 9

The link posted is for a 'tweaked' version of WASC cake. Try the *original* recipe:

The *original* WASC cake recipe by kakeladi
This recipe is based on mixing in a kitchenaid mixer. I use position #1 to stir it, then #4 or 5 to mix the batter.

1 box cake mix (I prefere Betty Crocker) *see notes at end
1 cup flour
1 cup granulated sugar
generous dash of salt

1 cup sour cream
1 cup water *
3 whole eggs
1 tablespoon flavoring*
In bowl mix together dry ingredients. It's helpful if you use a wire wisk, but optional. In mixer bowl place next 3 ingredients. Add about 1/2 of the dry ingredients and blend together, then add the rest of the dry ingredients & blend. Mix for 2 minutes.
Pour into prepared pans * and bake as usual.

*NOTES: any cake flavor can be used. Match the flavoring to the cake flavor such use lemon/almond mix for lemon cake; strawberry for a strawberry cake etc, etc. For most flavors you can use a mixture of vanilla, butter, and almond which is what I do most of the time.
You can use milk, cream or even juice for the liquid.
Most of the time I forget to add the salticon_smile.gif
On rare occasions I have used other brands of mix.
This makes the amount of batter as if you used 1 1/2 mixes and is perfect for a 10" sq OR 9x13 OR two 8" or three 6" round; or a 12" round; and other combinations of pans.
I prefere to bake at 300 degrees for about 20-30 minutes (depending on size of cake) then turn oven up to 325 for about an equal time. Use your nose - if you smell it most likely it is done. If cake has pulled away from sides it is overbaked After cooling, the top might be a bit sticky.
The flavoring I most often use is this mixture:
1 part vanilla extract
1/2 part butter flavoring
1/4 part almond flavoring

A "Part" is any measure be it teaspoon; tablespoon; cup or quart. Since I made many wedding cakes I usually mixed it up by the cup about once a monthicon_smile.gif

Some people have told me they use yogurt instead of sour cream....I never tried that.
And that's right.......there is NO oil/butter/margerine used in this recipe.

Happy baking to you!
Lynne (kakeladi)

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 5:39pm
post #9 of 9

freezing your cakes makes them really super moist! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%