Square Cookie-No Time To Buy Or Make

Decorating By lilsomethinsweet Updated 12 Nov 2008 , 4:13pm by Chippi

lilsomethinsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilsomethinsweet Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 2:49pm
post #1 of 9

I have two dozen cookies to make for Saturday. They want Pooh and honey pots decorated on them. I thought I would make square cookies and then decorate them accordingly. What would be my best way to get square cookies? Bake and then cut while a little warm? Or try to cut shape with knife before baking? I wasn't sure about the edging of the cookie if I cut after baking-will they be too crumbly?

Thanks!

8 replies
cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 2:58pm
post #2 of 9

I had to make long rectangle cookies to decorate a cake from my sugar cookie recipe. I rolled out the dough about 1/4 " or thicker. took a straight edge and then markes each edge as to where I had to cut. then I used a hugh knife and cut that way. then baked them already cut. They looked fine, even the edges. I also painted the dough befpre I baked them because the had to be red.

cdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdavis Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 9

Wilton makes a square cookie cutter. If you use a flat cookie sheet (not an air bake type), and bake at 325, you won't have much change to the shape of the cookie. If you do, just take the cutter and cut again after they come out of the oven while still warm and that will square it up again. I have done that many times and the crumbs are not very noticeable at all.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:16pm
post #4 of 9

If you have one of those square tea bag tins you could use that for your cutter. Or if you have an extra really big cookie cutter hanging around that you don't use, take it apart and reshape into the square you need.

I'd cut before baking. I tried cutting after baking once and I didn't like the results. And you can't re-roll any unused dough if it's baked up. If you roll out and cut before baking you can take the unused dough and roll it up and use it for more cookies.

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:23pm
post #5 of 9

I just did this exact same thing. I rolled out my dough and just measured and cut into squares and then baked.

Karen

lilsomethinsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilsomethinsweet Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you everyone for their responses.

Sometimes it just helps to have someone that has tried something to let you know how it turned out.

I do appreciate everyone! Thanks.

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:35pm
post #7 of 9

just roll out the dough and mark it off on the dough with a square grid using a ruler then use your pizza cutter and ruler to make straight lines.
Do this right on your parchment paper. If your dough is the kind that grows really big, chill the cookies before you move them around so they, can keep there shape.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:07pm
post #8 of 9

........use your pizza cutter .....
Yes, yes, yesicon_smile.gif You will not get that 'pulled' look on the edges you so often get when trying to cut dough w/a knife.

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:13pm
post #9 of 9

Cutting & baking first will give you a better edge. I use my pizza cutter (as kakeladi) has mentioned for alot of cutting needs. Its a very handy tool in the kitchen! I have 3 of them....lol Not sure why I need 3, but bakers always seem to have extras!

Good luck on your cookies!

Chippi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%