Buttercream Recipe That Crusts Well

Baking By Ramz Updated 15 Jan 2009 , 9:44pm by aiah_mia

Ramz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ramz Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 7:14am
post #1 of 7

I am having a hard time searching for the perfect butter cream recipe that well crust well since I need to do some scroll on it and eventually paint it.
I used to buy butter cream from a local bakery but now it's turning out way too expensive. Please help!

6 replies
panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 7:25am
post #2 of 7

I still have a hard time getting smooth bc on my cakes but I have to say sugarshacks bc gets pretty hard. I can amen to that, you can get her recipe on here.

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 7

Also try the buttercream dream recipe. This is one I posted and it crusts really well. You can always add less tablespoons of milk, water, etc. of most recipes to get the icing to crust.

Hope this helps!

Ramz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ramz Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 8:19pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you!

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 8:35pm
post #5 of 7

Search for the recipe using the Viva Method. It's the BC recipe I use all the time, and everyone loves it. Crusts beautifully.

Here it is...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2075-Crusting-Buttercream-Icing-VIVA-Method.html

price200 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
price200 Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 3:55am
post #6 of 7

I don't understand what people are talking about a butter cream the crust well. I make my own bc with egg whites, sugar, and butter and I've never had it crust. Why do you want it to crust?

aiah_mia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aiah_mia Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 9:44pm
post #7 of 7

We want it to crust so you can smooth it out and decorate properly.

Here is the buttercream recipe: (for it to crust let bc stay on cake for about 5-10 mins)
2lbs. powdered sugar (sugar in bags is finer - no sifting)
1 cup crisco (white lard, not oil)
2 teaspoons stay ice (cuts sweetness)
3 tablespoons princess white(cuts greasiness- gives body)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon clear vanilla or cream bouquet or butter favoring
1/2 cup water
Cream together the shortening, stay ice, princess white, salt and flavoring until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar and water and beat until well blended. Add more water if needed to be softer, a spoonful at a time. Store in airtight container. Wont go bad if sotred properly. I use this recipe everytime.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%