Need Preschool Book Suggestions!

Lounge By giraffe11 Updated 26 Nov 2008 , 1:09am by Bethkay

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 5:50am
post #1 of 9

My three year old son is asking Santa for "new books about a boy and monsters". He doesn't have any particular books in mind at all. Now Santa needs to come up with a couple of age-appropriate books about a boy and monsters! Any suggestions??
Thanks for any help you can give.
Heather

8 replies
redhare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redhare Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 6:03am
post #2 of 9

well there is the classic 'Where the Wild Things Are'... My two kids LOVE that book! btw if it helps my kids are 3 & 5 years old and we've had this book for at least a year now I THINK my daughter (the 5 yr old tomorrow) got it for Christmas last yr from my sil....

giraffe11 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 9:39am
post #3 of 9

Ooh, that's a good one. Can't believe I didn't think of that. I tried to search on amazon for kid's books about monster's too, but I want to be able to preview whatever I'm getting, so knowing someone with an opinion is good.
I had that one when I was little, of course.
Thanks,
Heather

redhare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redhare Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:33pm
post #4 of 9

you're welcome - we LOVE the classics in this house so it was a must that our kids have that book... GOOD LUCK w/ your task ..... (at least he picked fairly inexpensive items and you'll still be giving him what he asked for)

tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 1:43am
post #5 of 9

I can think of two, but they may be hard to find, and one is WAY too advanced for a 3- year-old.

The Monster who ate my peas (may be too hard or scary, in a weird way-- the monster exacts some kind of price for eating the kid's peas-- it's not too bad, just want you to know)
13 monsters who should be avoided (much too hard)

There's the Abominable Snowman in Rudolph-- does that count?

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 5:51am
post #6 of 9

Here are a few. Some might be a little old for him -- you would know best. Those with an * are highly recommended.

*Go Away, Big Green Monster! by Edward R Emberley
Glad Monster, Sad Monster by Anne Miranda & Ed Emberley
*The Monster at the End of this Book by Jon Stone
There's an Alligator under My Bed by Mercer Mayer
*There's a Nightmare in My Closet by Mercer Mayer
There's Something in My Attic by Mercer Mayer
*Leonardo, the Terrible Monster by Mo Willems
Brave Little Monster by Ken Baker
Jeepers Creepers: A Monstrous ABC by Laura Leuck
My Monster Mama Loves Me So by Laura Leuck
The Monster in My Closet by Eric Klug
Frank Was a Monster Who Wanted to Dance by Keith Graves
Three Nasty Gnarlies by Keith Graves

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 11:12pm
post #7 of 9

My kids' favorite Clyde Monster-sorry I don't remember the author. It is a story about a young monster who is afraid to go to bed because he thinks that there are people under his bed!

giraffe11 Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 9:09pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks to everyone for all of the great suggestions! I have had a terrible time getting on CC the past couple of weeks, but I did want to thank everyone. I will definately have a lot of choices!
Heather

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 1:09am
post #9 of 9

One more that I can think of from nearly 20 years ago is called "Follow the Monsters". It is about the Sesame Street monsters and is written in one long rhyme. Our oldest daughter had us read it to her so often that my husband and I had it memorized at one point! I'm not sure if you can still get it, but it was very cute. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%