How Far In Advance Can I Bake A Cake

Decorating By klo289 Updated 24 Nov 2008 , 12:49am by klo289

klo289 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klo289 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:45am
post #1 of 7

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find any posts.

I am making a cake for a wedding that is the day after Thanksgiving. Of course, with it being so close to the holiday, I can't bake the cake and my Thanksgiving dinner at the same time. I have never baked a cake more than a day or two early. How early can I bake the cake without it tasting bad? Should I freeze the cake uniced or ice it and freeze it? Any tips for the freezing and defrosting? I would love to be able to knock the majority of this cake out early in the week, but I'm just not really sure how to approach it. The cake will be iced in buttercream with fondant accents. Thanks.

6 replies
kbak37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbak37 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 5:12am
post #2 of 7

I have the same question actually...I wish I had an answer for you. I have a cake due the 19th..a Wed of all days..but I work full time. So this should be interesting. None of the things I am using are perishable so that is a plus.

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 5:26am
post #3 of 7

I bake, cool, torte, simple syrup, wrap well in syran, and freeze for up to
3 weeks sometimes! You will be fine to get that part out of the way if you do that.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 5:30am
post #4 of 7

You know you can actually bake now and freeze unfrosted until ready to use. I just tried about 2 weeks ago. Baked wrapped in plastic wrap when it was still hot, let it cool and wrapped in foil (don't remove plastic) before I froze it, took it out the day before to frost and it was still very tasty and I didn't even add that syrup everyone talks about. Let it thaw for about 2 hours. So I would recommend it. I heard you can keep frozen cakes for up to 2 months.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:27pm
post #5 of 7

Oh yes, you can bake, torte, wrap and freeze well in advance.

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 2:01pm
post #6 of 7

Bake, torte. What I dod if I two or more layers in the cake is place parchment paper between layers that way half way through the defrost cycle I can start to fill and the layers move around easy when still frozen. Wrap and freeze. Good Luck

klo289 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klo289 Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 12:49am
post #7 of 7

Thank you for the tips about freezing. How far in advance should I or could I pull them out to decorate. Is it best to decorate the day before? Also, do you have to wait for the cake to completely defrost before you ice it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%