Coffee Flavored Filling??

Decorating By AmyCakes2 Updated 12 Nov 2008 , 2:26pm by PinkZiab

AmyCakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyCakes2 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:25am
post #1 of 4

Hi!
Anyone ever made a coffee flavored filling for a cake?? The customers want a chocolate cake w/coffee-flavored filling....and I don't know that I've ever seen that kind of filling flavor!
If anyone has - I'm sure they're on here! icon_wink.gif
Thanks in advance!!!

3 replies
Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:51am
post #2 of 4

My mom used to always use the leftover cold coffee to make chocolate frosting when I was growing up.....so that would be more of a Mocha I guess. But it tasted really good! She also never used any shortening, so when as an adult I watched my MIL make icing one time and saw her put cup after cup of Crisco in I just about gagged!! I had NO idea that was how real icing was made!

I wonder if you could do something like vanilla pudding but dissolve instant coffee granules in the milk first......

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:02pm
post #3 of 4

I make a chocolate mocha cake that has mocha buttercream between the layers and chocolate buttercream on the outside. I just add some very strong coffee or instant espresso that I have prepared to vanilla buttercream. It does change the texture slightly, because of the liquid, but if it is good and strong, you don't need to add much. I just keep tasting until I get it where I want it. I also will brush some of the prepared coffee onto the layers to get an added boost of coffee flavor to the cake. HTH icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 4

If you can get your hands on some Trablit, it is THE best coffee extract/syrup around, but it's very expensive and if you're not going to use it often it wouldn't be worth the purchase. Otherwise use any coffee extract/flavored syrup or you can make your own with instant espresso powder and just enough water to dissolve it. Add any of these to your favorite buttercream to taste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%