Cake Pan Question

Decorating By krazigirl79 Updated 12 Nov 2008 , 2:17am by krazigirl79

krazigirl79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazigirl79 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 11:32pm
post #1 of 6

Hi!
I just bought the Wilton 14, 10 & 6 inch pans with 2 inch thickness.

I am making this WASC recipe:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipes_fileid-print-recipeid-2322.html

And I was wondering what the depth of the cake pan includes.
Also, when you bake a cake, how far below the rim do you fill the batter???

THANK YOU!!!!
~Lena

5 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 11:51pm
post #2 of 6

I'm not sure what you mean by "the depth the cake pan includes"

As far as filling the pan, I generally fill mine halfway, but don't go over 2/3 unless you collar your pans.....unless you want overflow in your oven!

krazigirl79 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:23am
post #3 of 6

Oh sorry- I wasn't sure if 2" was a standard depth or if there was some sort of variation.

Thanks for the tip on the no-more than 2/3 full--- I've never been quite sure how far to fill pans icon_smile.gif

THANK YOU!!!
~Lena

krazigirl79 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:25am
post #4 of 6

Oh, and is there a standard time per size of pan? The WASC recipe didn't note any specific time changes for different sized pans- so would you normally follow the time-frame listed on the cake box?

THANKS!

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 2:03am
post #5 of 6

There are also 3" cake pans, but I always use the 2". Some use 3, so I guess it's a matter of personal preference.

Baking time does vary with different size cake pans. I find that most of my cakes take at least 30 min, and the bigger ones I just test every so often based on how jiggly they are when I open the oven after 30 min.

But that's my recipes, and most of them are variations on The Cake Bible. All I can suggest is to watch them and test when the box recommends, then keep checking until done.

krazigirl79 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 2:17am
post #6 of 6

Thanks! Thats what I did- and I did notice the jiggly-ness, so I just put in for an extra 5 minutes, and that took care of the jiggling, lol!

They came out great so far- I've done 4 rounds using the WASC recipe (attached is a picture of the first 2 rounds).

I'm guessing a 3" pan would be good to cut in half and put in filling for a little shorter cake, instead of 2x2" to make one cake tier?

Thanks for the advice!!! I really appreciate the friendliness here! You are all wonderful!
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%