Help! Fondant Gift Cake To Look Like Real Wrapping Paper.

Decorating By sweetsbyl Updated 12 Nov 2008 , 2:14am by sweetsbyl

sweetsbyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyl Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 7

I am going to make a gift cake using fondant. I would like to make the folds as with real wrapping paper. Does anyone know how to do this?
Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 7

At the risk of sounding too simplistic, just wrap the cake as you would a gift.

I'd put the fondant over the cake and fold the ends just like you do a present. You may need to add some gum tex to your fondant, or maybe some tylose, just enough to make it a bit more elastic, but not enough to make it as strong as full strength gumpaste.

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:21am
post #3 of 7

I agree with karateka, I think that you should just wrap it as if you were wrapping a gift.

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:37am
post #4 of 7

I would use the end of a small paint brush or somthing like that and just kind of "draw" the lines in. If you try to do all of that folding with the fondant I'm afraid that you will make it way too bulky and it sounds easier to do that it is. I do most of the fondant work at the bakery I work at and that is the way we do it. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:45am
post #5 of 7

Or you could use an exacto knife to cut the sides of the cake to look like folded paper... that way there would be less bulk... Now how to make the little pieces of tape?

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 2:05am
post #6 of 7

You would have to roll the fondant a bit thinner if you just wrap the cake like a gift, to avoid it being too bulky. Or alternatively you could cut or impress the fondant lines appropriately with a gumpaste tool or dull edge of a knife.

sweetsbyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyl Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 2:14am
post #7 of 7

Thanks guys thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%