Cakes... Family.... Charging....what To Do!

Decorating By tarheelgirl Updated 23 Dec 2008 , 1:02am by tarheelgirl

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 3:24pm
post #31 of 38

Back to the OP - I have the exact same situation as you. My aunt is my hairdresser and I am her baker. She tells me to give her "whatever" and I do the same. We are both fair minded people and can respect each other's costs etc. I normally give her 85% of what she charges and she usually gives me 80% of what I charge. I don't think she even KNOWS what my prices are, and the only reason I know hers is because it's posted at the salon. It's not a formal arrangement, but it works for us and we're both happy. I get my hair cut about 4 times a year and she orders about 3 cakes per year. As for all other family/friends, I only give a discount (15%) to DH and my immediate family (our grandparents, parents, siblings). We have a HUGE extended family and if I discounted to all of them, I'd hardly ever charge full price for anything.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 1:54am
post #32 of 38

Well, she is coming next week for a tasting. And by the way I have never had a tasting!! So at least its with my cousin. This is a wedding cake and not a birthday cake so to me its special. I will definitely be fair.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 9:12pm
post #33 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelgirl

Quote:
Quote:

I juts have to ask... did you leave any exclamation marks for the rest of us?

well... umm.. I will go to the corner now! icon_redface.gif

LOL I am just a very excited person!!!! icon_lol.gif

You guys are so funny! I have a sister who uses !!!! in each line of her email to me! icon_lol.gif And she "talks" the same way, too! Heh heh, excitable is an understatement.

(!!!) icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 10:41pm
post #34 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy120

She said she thought maybe I wouldn't want to bake my own cake...guess what....I don't want to EAT cake either....

icon_lol.gif Sounds like the type of person who would want to take the neighborhood mailman out on a walk on his day off! icon_lol.gif

tarheelgirl Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 8:03pm
post #35 of 38

So.. I have an update on my cousins wedding cake! I have been trying to reach her by email and phone for the last couple of weeks. She did respond by email and wanted me to set up tastings.. We are cousins and why she needs to TASTE the cake is beyond me. She has had it before!!! ughhh.. Anyway, so her wedding is this weekend the Saturday after Christmas. I assumed since she was not getting back up with me nor have I received the invitation that she found someone else. SO, here it is Tuesday and she just called and left me a message..

As follows: Hey just wanted to talk to you about the cake. The person that was supposed to do it had something come up.. oh well, I will tell you more about that when you call me back.

Ummmm.. there is NO way that I can get a 4 tiered wedding cake ready in this little amount of time. Especially since it is Christmas and I have 2 children. Since she never got back up with me I have already booked a 3 tiered Sweet 16 cake for Saturday and also another small cake for the same day.

Either.. she ran out of money and assumes that I can just whip something up for FREE or the other person bailed on her. Personally it kind of hurts that she decided to not contact me and at least let me KNOW that she found someone else! So, guess Walmart may still have openings for cakes. I bet they won't even be able to whip something up to her standards by Saturday either.

Sorry for the long post... I am just floored!!! icon_sad.gificon_mad.gif

tarheelgirl Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 8:05pm
post #36 of 38

I did try to limit my !!!! this time too.. icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 10:16pm
post #37 of 38

Oh I don't know ... the nerve of the cousin in that story deserves a lot of !!!!!!'s! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

So .... um...... which part of your body are you going to pull that 4-tier cake out of, at this late date? Hmmmmm??? icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

tarheelgirl Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 1:02am
post #38 of 38

haha! Well, I spoke to her again and she asked since I was booked if I knew anyone that did cakes?? WHAT! tapedshut.gif I told her that Walmart made some fabulous cakes! icon_twisted.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%