Where To Go For Sugar Flower Classes Around New England/nyc?

Decorating By mom2spunkynbug Updated 13 Nov 2008 , 3:32am by DesignerCakes

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 6:04pm
post #1 of 8

I really want to improve my sugar flower making skills. It seems like there is no one around here (New England) that offers such classes.

I'd even be willing to go as far as NYC for a great course.

Thanks in advance!

7 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:17am
post #2 of 8

contact your local ICES rep they maybe able to help you out. If nothing else you may be able to attend a weekend of sharing and you will be very surprised what you can learn there.

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:42am
post #3 of 8

Scott Clark Woolley is in NYC and gives classes in sugar flowers. I have not been, but I have his book Cakes by Design. His website is beautiful, his cakes and class lists can be found there.
www.cakesbydesign.cc

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:12am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

contact your local ICES rep they maybe able to help you out. If nothing else you may be able to attend a weekend of sharing and you will be very surprised what you can learn there.

Thanks! Do I have to be a member in order to get that info & attend a weekend of sharing? Also, can you join the ICES that is closest to you, even if it's in a different state? Where in upstate NY are you? I'm very close to Albany, but live in MA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funcakes

Scott Clark Woolley is in NYC and gives classes in sugar flowers. I have not been, but I have his book Cakes by Design. His website is beautiful, his cakes and class lists can be found there.
www.cakesbydesign.cc

Thank you, but I just looked at his website the other day and he is not offering classes anymore! icon_cry.gif He's only offering his $300 DVDs! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:58pm
post #5 of 8

On occasion there are gumpaste flower classes offered at the Institute for Culinary Education in NYC (check out the website in the recreational division).

Also, not sure if they have flower classes but there are a lot of workshops in MA at the following: http://www.piskypixie.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=30&Itemid=50 (I can't vouch as I've never attended one; but I keep looking at these!)

You can go to ICES events without being a member but membership is reasonable and you get great info in the newletters. I think there is going to be a NYS Chapter DOS in early 2009 in upstate NY but don't have any information on this yet.

Check out the Nicholas Lodge DVDs on his site or at globalsugarart.com - these are reasonably priced and offer good instruction.

NYC has a meetup.com group that you can keep checking to see if there are any flower classes offered.

HTH

jessienj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessienj Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 2:51pm
post #6 of 8

I've taken many classes with Scott and also own all the videos. I like them all and refer to them quite often. It helps if you have had experience with making gumpaste flowers before. His classes used to run about $350 each, and typically you learned 3 flowers in each class, so if you think about it his dvds are a great value, especially his garden flowers one if you want to learn a lot of flowers.

I like Nicholas Lodge's dvds too.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 10:20pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2spunkynbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

Thanks! Do I have to be a member in order to get that info & attend a weekend of sharing? Also, can you join the ICES that is closest to you, even if it's in a different state? Where in upstate NY are you? I'm very close to Albany, but live in MA.

Actually, I'm probably not that far from you, takes me about 1/2 hour to get to the outlets in Lee.

The next weekend of sharing is in April(last weekend i think) it will be in East Greenbush which is just your side of Albany. So it shouldn't be that far from you.

I do believe you would be able to join the NY ices chapter, but you don't have to be a member to attend. As far as classes there are some from time to time at Candyland Confectionery which is located to East Greenbush these tend to be pretty basic classes, other then that i don't know unless one of the local colleges have something going on.

DesignerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignerCakes Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 3:32am
post #8 of 8

Wild Flowers by Lori offers classes in making sugar flowers in NJ and surrounding areas. She has been featured on television a few times and her classes run for a week at a time or so - very comprehensive course. The fees are high, from what I hear. Hope this helps.

http://www.wildflowersbylori.com/Classes%20for%20the%20hobbyist.html

You may want to call and check on her 2009 schedule, if available.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%