Do You Have Long Fingernails?????

Decorating By sweetcravings Updated 15 May 2013 , 8:02pm by hbquikcomjamesl

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 9:03pm
post #31 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngfcake

For me making a cake = short nails, hairnet, no bracelets, no rings, no wristwatch, short sleeves and washing my hands frequently.

Me too! I would not feel right making someones cake without those precautions.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 9:05pm
post #32 of 108

lol this is the funniest thread I have ever read!...Yes I do have my nails long, they grow too fast, so I learn to live with them. In the videos in Youtube I dont wear gloves cause obvioulsy I am trying to teach and gloves they definitively are not very attractive to look at. I am in my house and not at work. But for those who feel they are unsanitary, one thing I hate completely is working withouth gloves, and anybody that is in the food business knows you are suppose to wear gloves and a hairnet. So I agree, it would be unsanitary to be doing anything for food service without gloves.

About my tango, lol..well..OMG..im shock! icon_eek.gif ...lol...Is not my best dance...check the salsa,..haha...
You guys in CC are just the sweteest people... icon_rolleyes.gif I love ya!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 9:10pm
post #33 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Oh...my...god... you guys. Sorry, going off subject here... I've never seen one of Edna's videos until just now. I am a huge fan of her work from checking out her website, etc. but hadn't seen a video... so I clicked the link up there to check it out.

Hmmmm... how do I say this... when I imagine someone named Edna, I have kind of a preconceived notion of what she'll look like. That is not what I imagined. Good gravy, she is WICKED HOT!! WOW! icon_eek.gif I feel a little silly saying that, but dang, she could easily be a model. I mean, it startled me when it came up! I was like, "Wha..????" icon_surprised.gif So, now, we've established that she's sweet, sharing, has a great sense of humor, is intelligent, amazing at all cake skills known to man, now we add 'painfully attractive' to the list? That's it Edna... you have to be eliminated. You are just TOO much for one woman!! Hahahahaha!! Boy... I thought I wanted to be her twenty minutes ago before I saw her... icon_cry.gif now I'm convinced!!

hahaha..OMG!!...Now you are getting rid of me!... icon_surprised.gif I run now!
Edna icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 9:12pm
post #34 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justbeck101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngfcake

For me making a cake = short nails, hairnet, no bracelets, no rings, no wristwatch, short sleeves and washing my hands frequently.

Me too! I would not feel right making someones cake without those precautions.

Not to mention it's (my) health dept requirements. Also agreeing with chutz and leahs .... no long nails that nasty dirt and germs can get under and DEFINITELY no fake nails that can pop off in the middle of buffet when you're swapping out a pan of food with 100 people in line. No nail polish permitted under any circumstances.

Girls who come into the shop to place an application ... if they have nails, especially the big money ones, I ask them then and there, "Are you willing to cut those nails off?" If they say 'no', then I suggest that "....this type of job may not be for you, then."

PattyLen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyLen Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 9:13pm
post #35 of 108

I want to be like Edna!!!

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

tonedna Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 9:26pm
post #36 of 108

Just to make sure..I dont work without gloves...I think is nasty working without them on other peoples food!..And I hate the feeling of grease in my hands..Even when I am teaching how to ice a cake, just in a class I wear gloves. By health department standard in Orlando, it is a must.
But anytime I'll make a video you will see me witout them since I dont want the gloves to be the center of attention. Quite honestly I never thought the nails would be either. It took me by surprise when people started asking me how did I work with long nails.

On the other hand my nail bed is long so the nail does look longer than the nail really is.

And by the way Mel...Im still runing..I wanna live!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gif
Edna

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 9:29pm
post #37 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

lol this is the funniest thread I have ever read!...Yes I do have my nails long, they grow too fast, so I learn to live with them. In the videos in Youtube I dont wear gloves cause obvioulsy I am trying to teach and gloves they definitively are not very attractive to look at. I am in my house and not at work. But for those who feel they are unsanitary, one thing I hate completely is working withouth gloves, and anybody that is in the food business knows you are suppose to wear gloves and a hairnet. So I agree, it would be unsanitary to be doing anything for food service without gloves.

About my tango, lol..well..OMG..im shock! icon_eek.gif ...lol...Is not my best dance...check the salsa,..haha...
You guys in CC are just the sweteest people... icon_rolleyes.gif I love ya!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Hey Edna, you really look like a star!!!
I can't wait to see you dancing Salsa...I hope you know how to dance merengue icon_lol.gif

tonedna Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 9:30pm
post #38 of 108

Anyone can dance a merengue!..I can teach you!.. I do cha cha too! icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 9:49pm
post #39 of 108
Quote:

Anyone can dance a merengue!..I can teach you!.. I do cha cha too! icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Of course I know! I'm Dominican! I can move my bu~~ like no one else...hahaha! icon_lol.gif
I've been trying to teach my sweet b/f but he's officially a lost cause.
icon_cry.gif
If you can teach him...you are a miracle worker!

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 9:52pm
post #40 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

long nails + food service = unhygienic

I don't care how often you wash your hands... any way you slice it, it's just plain gross

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

I am with you all the way on this.
I keep my nails pretty short because of work. Even if you glove up there's still the risk of tearing the glove if you have long nails.

tonedna Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 9:58pm
post #41 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

long nails + food service = unhygienic

I don't care how often you wash your hands... any way you slice it, it's just plain gross

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

I am with you all the way on this.
I keep my nails pretty short because of work. Even if you glove up there's still the risk of tearing the glove if you have long nails.

Just put a new pair!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:14pm
post #42 of 108
Quote:

Edna

Are you kidding me woman?? I'd be too busy staring at you to hurt you! Hahahaha. Seriously, you need to change your screen name because when I look at it I think Ton-Edna and in my mind you were a nice, round, older woman. Your video totaly took me by surprise!! A good surprise to be sure, you are a LOT of fun to watch! Anyway, I'm officially changing your name to HotEdna. Hehehehe. thumbs_up.gif

tonedna Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:20pm
post #43 of 108

[quote="Melvira"]

Quote:

Edna

Are you kidding me woman?? I'd be too busy staring at you to hurt you! Hahahaha. Seriously, you need to change your screen name because when I look at it I think Ton-Edna and in my mind you were a nice, round, older woman. Your video totaly took me by surprise!! A good surprise to be sure, you are a LOT of fun to watch! Anyway, I'm officially changing your name to HotEdna. Hehehehe. thumbs_up.gif[/quote

lol...I can understand that ton as in heavy! + edna= big edna..
The name came out of my husbands name.. Tony + Edna
At the begining after I put it, I thought of changing it , but now a lot of people recognize the name, so might as well let it be. I guess as I get old I will grow to be an Edna anyways icon_lol.gif... Did I tell you I am 40.. icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:24pm
post #44 of 108
Quote:

Did I tell you I am 40.. icon_lol.gif

ok, now that's the last straw! I keep telling my husband that 40 year olds DON'T look like that and here you go making me look like a big liar! icon_lol.gif

tonedna Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:26pm
post #45 of 108

lol..I am going on 41..lol.. Is all tha cake that makes me look young..haha

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:29pm
post #46 of 108

Tonedna said:

Quote:
Quote:

But anytime I'll make a video you will see me witout them since I dont want the gloves to be the center of attention.

Hold the phone....with a stunning face, awesome accent and a decorating talent that just defies description - do you seriously think people are even gonna notice gloves icon_eek.gif Even if they did I'll bet they'd be thinking oh my i wish my gloves looked as good on me as they do on Edna icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

The real treat is that even being as brilliantly multi-talented and drop dead gorgeous, you are one of the most helpful members, talented teachers and from what I have seen in your posts such a genuine, sweet natured, unassuming lady. They must have broken the mold when they made you coz you really are unique. thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:29pm
post #47 of 108

Edna... now you really stink. icon_razz.gif You look like you're about 25... a Playboy bunny... a miraculous decorator... You are officially starting to be too much for me! *sigh* You were much less threatening when I thought you were a chubby old broad! Hahahahahaha!!! I guess I still love ya... I just don't want to be seen standing next to you because people will feel very sorry for me! Hehehe. icon_cry.gif Hey, maybe that way they'll chip in for my extreme makeover! thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:38pm
post #48 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmum

The real treat is that even being as brilliantly multi-talented and drop dead gorgeous, you are one of the most helpful members, talented teachers and from what I have seen in your posts such a genuine, sweet natured, unassuming lady. They must have broken the mold when they made you coz you really are unique. thumbs_up.gif

I'd like to second that vote! Sometimes when people get good at something they act as though they are above you and don't want to waste their time helping, but you have always been a class act! Helpful and sweet! thumbs_up.gif

tonedna Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:39pm
post #49 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmum

Tonedna said:

Quote:
Quote:

But anytime I'll make a video you will see me witout them since I dont want the gloves to be the center of attention.

Hold the phone....with a stunning face, awesome accent and a decorating talent that just defies description - do you seriously think people are even gonna notice gloves icon_eek.gif Even if they did I'll bet they'd be thinking oh my i wish my gloves looked as good on me as they do on Edna icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Oh wow!.. icon_redface.gif ..That was so sweet of you. Quite honest I am just like everyone here..full of love for the cake decoration. I learn a lot on my own and love to teach. Not perfect in anyway, I just teach it as i find it easiest to do for those who are starting. I will always help as long as I know the answer...Thanks for making me feel special..
Edna icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:43pm
post #50 of 108
Quote:

Edna... now you really stink. icon_razz.gif You look like you're about 25... a Playboy bunny... a miraculous decorator... You are officially starting to be too much for me! *sigh* You were much less threatening when I thought you were a chubby old broad! Hahahahahaha!!! I guess I still love ya... I just don't want to be seen standing next to you because people will feel very sorry for me! Hehehe. icon_cry.gif Hey, maybe that way they'll chip in for my extreme makeover! thumbs_up.gif

oh my...I can see the faces in CC if I am decorating naked a cake..haha...fingernails would be the least of their thought!!!!! Eww..
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:48pm
post #51 of 108

I see nothing wrong with having nails and like Tonenda said if you get a hole change them. I get holes with short nails. You wear your nails Toneda and anybody else. I know far as the health inspector but it's different in wear tips and when they are your own nails. I have experience both and I miss my nails.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:59pm
post #52 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcheryl

I see nothing wrong with having nails and like Tonenda said if you get a hole change them. I get holes with short nails. You wear your nails Toneda and anybody else. I know far as the health inspector but it's different in wear tips and when they are your own nails. I have experience both and I miss my nails.

The only difference is one is natural and one is fake. They both harbour germs. With fake nails germs are not only under your natural nails but also under the fake nail and the artificial nail. Same with chipped nail polish (or if it starts to lift off without actually chipping). This is one of The reasons they frown upon long nails and nail polish in hospitals. There's been lots of studies on this issue. So when it comes to dealing with food as far as I am concern the same goes for me - No long nails - I keep them super short.

Melvira Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 11:13pm
post #53 of 108
Quote:

oh my...I can see the faces in CC if I am decorating naked a cake..haha...fingernails would be the least of their thought!!!!! Eww..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Hahahaha!!! I'll know something is up if my husband starts telling me he's been watching cake decorating tutorials!!! He loves women with the spanish/cuban look and coloring. Which doesn't explain why he married a pasty white German. Hehehe. icon_rolleyes.gif

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 11:21pm
post #54 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callyssa

I'm a nail tech, and I do have long nails. They definitely do get in the way, but I've had them for so long I can't imagine going without them! I don't use polish though. I ONLY use gel, and keep a permanent french (like Edna's). They don't chip, and the white stays until the next time I fill. There are also gel polishes, I don't like them as they are hard to use and make look even, and, most likely you would have to find a nail tech who does gel to do them for you. I can give you a few pointers to try to help keep your polish longer though.

First, before you polish buff off any shine off your natural nail. Then, wipe them really well with polish remover (acetone kind, not the non-) and don't get any oils from your fingers on them. Then, use a GOOD basecoat like Sticky from Creative, or Orly Bonder. You can get either at Sally's beauty. One or two coats of polish, one coat of topcoat, and let dry reaaaaallly well. When you put your topcoat on make sure you kind of wrap it around the tip edges of your nails; this helps seal in the polish. You can also put a second coat of topcoat on in the next two days as added protection. My manicure clients can go a full two weeks between and their polish looks practically as good as it did on the first day. Of course, they don't have their hands in water, shortening, fondant, etc. all the time like we do, so I can't say how it would work for cake decorators!

I hope this helps, and any other nail questions, don't hesitate to ask!

great info..thanks...when you say you put gel on your nails..is that the gel polish you speak of? Really i just want my nails to look healthy and clean. With nothing on them they look unhealthy to me, dry...probably from all the handwashing. Even my hands have taken their toll of frequent washing..so so dry,esp this time of year.

tonedna Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 11:37pm
post #55 of 108
Quote:

Quote:

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

I have 2 girl friends that are married to german man, someting must be good on that side of the world!... icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 11:58pm
post #56 of 108

I keep my nails trimmed really short, and only polish them for special occasions. When I was little and used to visit my Oma, she would yell (in a german accent) that my dirty little fingers should not be so long. I've never had long nails...

My concern is my hair. I have long (to my waist!) black (and purple, green, blue...depending on my mood) hair. I always tie it up in a tight bun and bobby pin my bangs back when I cook, and have never found a hair in food, cake or on the counter...but how hazardous is hair? I know most health departments say hairnets, but what about the ones that dont?

indydebi Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:08am
post #57 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

...but how hazardous is hair? I know most health departments say hairnets, but what about the ones that dont?

My friend who owned a restaurant said her health inspector told her, "I'm not that concerned about hair. Yeah, it's gross if you find it but no one gets sick from a hair." The inspector was there to prevent conditions that caused illness. Hair is gross ... but wont' cause an illness.

need2sleep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
need2sleep Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:09am
post #58 of 108

tonedna I want to second everything Melvira has said!! Like my boys would say "Daaaaang girl, you look goooooood!!!" icon_eek.gif I wanna be like you when i grow up. icon_rolleyes.gif But now that I have found your videos it will be great to learn your tricks!! Thanks a bunch!! thumbs_up.gif

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:11am
post #59 of 108

I used to have lon pretty nails, but for some reason I washed my hands so much when making cakes that sometimes my nails would lift off and I was afraid I would end up with a piece of nail in my buttercream or fondant. lol As a hairstylist I hate wearing gloves and for cakes too. So no more nails for me unless I have special something to do they go on for the weeknd and then I pull them off. It's actually easier to do cakes without them, I feel like it's more sanitary too.

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:18am
post #60 of 108

Sweetcravings......No, I don't usually use the gel polish on myself, I use regular gel. Actually, gel polish is really just thinner gel, and won't come off with polish remover like regular polish; it has to be filed off. The reason they call it gel polish is it comes in lots of colors just like nail polish. The benefit is it cures under a UV light so your nails are completely dry and hard within two minutes and you have no risk of smudging your polish, and it generally doesn't chip. They're really the same thing. It's not something just anyone can put on themselves though, you kind of have to know what you're doing or you'll end up with it lifting around the cuticles and sides. I'm not even sure you could get it without being licensed. I do use the white sometimes because it's a super bright white and reaaallly makes my nails jump, but not usually.

What you can do to make your nails appear more healthy is use one of those chamois-type buffers, or the multisided ones that you can get from Sally's and buff your nails to a fairly high shine; just be careful because you CAN overbuff your nails and make them too thin. Then your nailbeds will hurt. Also, they build up a lot of heat while you are using them so you have to buff two or three times then lift it off for a few seconds. It doesn't take long to get them to a nice shine. It won't be as shiny as if you had a topcoat, but it definitely makes them more attractive, and it's permanent.

Also, I can't stress enough to my clients to use cuticle oil!! You would not believe how much better your nails and cuticles will look, and will practically eliminate hangnails. I send every new client out the door with a complimentary bottle. I keep mine on my nightstand, brush it on my cuticles, and even on the underside of my nails, kind of rub it in and let it work while I'm sleeping. It really helps to keep your nails and cuticle area hydrated, and it also helps to keep polish on, as well as i f you have enhancements. I don't understand the concept as you would think oils would cause it to lift, but for my clients who actually USE their oil they never, ever have any lifting.

One last thing....don't fall for those pushy people in the middle of the mall who sell a little kit with that type of buffer and some lotions. They will SOAK you! You can pick one of those up for less than a dollar, and that lotion is really nothing different than what you can get anywhere. I hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%