Any Ideas On How To Make These??

Decorating By lkoenig07 Updated 11 Nov 2008 , 10:58pm by ladyonzlake

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 13

I need to make this cake for a birthday this weekend. I have a good idea of what to do, but I am stuck as far as how to make the tires & that other thing in front of the back tires (don't know what its called). Anyone have any thoughts??
http://gizmodo.com/photogallery/transformercake/2084308

12 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 5:01pm
post #2 of 13

I don't know if you have figured it out or not but maybe use small donuts for the wheels and maybe some sort of little debbie snack cakes for the back of the truck??

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 13

You can make the tires from Rice Krispie treats. Just cut them out with a cookie cutter. Cut out and stack several if they're not thick enough. Then, cover with fondant. Make sure you allow for the extra girth the fondant will add to the tires.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 13

. . . I agree with the RCT . . .that's what was used to make this one . . . http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=754103 . . .

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 7:55pm
post #5 of 13

Do you think they could just be made of solid fondant?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:21pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkoenig07

Do you think they could just be made of solid fondant?

Not likely because that much fondant will collapse on itself before it sets up. Even so, that would be A LOT of fondant ($$$) and it would need several days to dry.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:39pm
post #7 of 13

Ring Ding Juniors make good tires, too.

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:40pm
post #8 of 13

You can use fondant strenthened with some CMC or tylose. Shape your tyres and leave to dry on soft foam for abt a day then fix to ur truck with royal icing.

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:41pm
post #9 of 13

I would use fondant but i would make a day or two in advance and add a hardening agent to it i do for my tractor tyres etc...

they look like they have used something too soft in that pic as tyre going flat..

good luck cant wait to see what you come up with

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:49pm
post #10 of 13

I have made a couple of car cakes and on my first car I used gumpaste. When you attach it make sure that it is not resting on the board so that is up in the air, then the tires stay round.

The 2nd cake I did I use chocolate clay and you use the same technique. The rims are also cut from gumpaste or chocolate clay and painted with silver highlighter mixed with vodka (the highlighter is similar to silver luster dust but produces more silver coverage). It also comes in gold.

Sandy2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandy2008 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:54pm
post #11 of 13

The other thing in front of the tires looks like it could be those chocolate coins that are wrapped. I would try those, peel the gold paper off them, stick them together with icing and luster dust silver????? Good luck. Looks like a fun cake.

Sandy2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandy2008 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:57pm
post #12 of 13

On second thought, they could be oreo cookies, separated.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:58pm
post #13 of 13

Oh, I forgot to add...attache the wheels with melted chocolate so they hold onto the side of the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%