I'm A Beginner...

Decorating By He2_13 Updated 11 Nov 2008 , 4:29pm by CakeWhizz

He2_13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
He2_13 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 10

Okay, I'm very new to this. I've only done a couple of cakes. I was wondering how do I get started on learning how to make flowers and such out of fondant, or gum paste? I"ve seen a couple of pics explaining it and all. I'm just still not very knowledgable about all the tools involved and such.

9 replies
OhioBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhioBaker Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:12pm
post #2 of 10

Hello and welcome to CC...you'll soon find that this website will become your new addiction. icon_lol.gif

Without taking a class that is geared to these things, all I can suggest is RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH. icon_wink.gif

This site is loaded with information from knowledgable people and they are all very kind to share what they know. Aside from CC, do a general search on the internet and see what you can find there. Then, it's up to you to practice until you get it right. icon_eek.gif

HTH

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 10

Search youtube and expertvillage as well. It is hard to explain, but watching a video helps. You really need some basic skills to get the most out of this site. PRACTICE! There really is a motion and move to this. Playdoh helps too. This is modeling with sugar... icon_smile.gif

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 10

Welcome to CC. Practice using the fondant and gumpaste and see how it turns out. I know there are a few videos out there on Youtube.com and other sites. Good luck!

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 10

My suggestions would be youtube like previously suggested. Have you taken the Wilton fondant course yet?

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 4:00pm
post #6 of 10

Youtube helped me alot. You have a teacher there for you in the privacy of your home that you can replay over and over and won't get annoyed with you when you "don't get it" the first time. I bought the Wilton fondant and gumpaste course kit and taught myself at home. Get some DVDs too. Good luck.

goldenegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goldenegg Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 4:01pm
post #7 of 10

I would definitely check out youtube and vimeo, just type "fondant" or "fondant figures" in the search and you'll get a few really good vids to help you out.

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 4:10pm
post #8 of 10

Wilton is a good beginners course then use the tutorials on youtube especially edna (she's on CC--tonedna) she's the best!

Lorendabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorendabug Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 4:25pm
post #9 of 10

I bought the Wilton gumpast flower kit. It comes with the cutters and most of the tools to get started. I also took the Wilton classes, which was great place to start. Some will say they don't like the Wilton cutters and such but I found it was an economical way to get started. I played with that for a while then started looking on CC, Youtube and anywhere else I could get more tips and knowledge.

Good luck!

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 4:29pm
post #10 of 10

Practice! Practice, Practice! As some previous posters have stated, there are quite a number of online resources which can help. I will also recommend you getting Sugarshacks videos which would really make a difference to how your cakes look. Alan Dunn's books are also great for learning gumpaste flowers and our own Tonedna and Aine2 are fabulous!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%