What Brand Of Chocolate Do You Use For Your Ganache?

Decorating By loriemoms Updated 13 Nov 2008 , 9:35pm by Sweet_Guys

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 12:58pm
post #1 of 23

I was buying my chocolate at Traders Joes and they no longer carry it (they just want to carry their own brand, which was waxy and yecky) I need to make a really good ganache, not from hersheys or anything. What brand of chocolate do you use in your ganache to give it a good rich dark chocolate flavor?

22 replies
FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 1:16pm
post #2 of 23

I love Schraffen Berger chocolate, it is very expensive though, and not every store carries it. I have also used Ghiradelli with great results (I use bittersweet for a dark choc. ganache).

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 23

I use Ghiradelli's from Sam's Club...not sure where to get anything other than that. I like a lighter flavor to my ganache though, I may try mixing some milk chocolate in there next time.

cakeladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladydi Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 1:23pm
post #4 of 23

I use Ghirardeli semi-sweet. It's really good.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 1:32pm
post #5 of 23

I use ghiradelli too, the 60% dark one.

Sandy2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandy2008 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 1:33pm
post #6 of 23

I was wondering how you get the ganache to partially flow off the cake top and stop midway. Do you flash freeze it right after you start pouring? I have never worked with ganache before, but I am anxious to try it. Any advice?

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-801503.html

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 1:37pm
post #7 of 23

I use Ghirardelli with great results. I use semi-sweet. I've also used the brand of chocolate that "Aldi" stores use. I don't know the brand; it's something pretty generic, but the taste is great! To get the ganache to stop midway on the cake when you pour you just have to pour slowly, a little at a time. Good luck.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:53pm
post #8 of 23

We use a blend of Merckens and Peters. You can get it at CK Products or Country Kitchen Sweet Arts.

Paul & Peter

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:58pm
post #9 of 23

icon_smile.gif I have made several cakes lately with ganache......and used a combo of Hershey's Milk chocolate and Ghiradelli.......they both got raving reviews.....so it's working for me. Most of my customers and family prefer the milk chocolate over the dark chocolate... icon_smile.gif

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:23pm
post #10 of 23

I have used the Hershey's Symphony bars with delicious results. Very sweet and creamy.

marriedtoagreek74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marriedtoagreek74 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:35pm
post #11 of 23

I use Callebaut dark, it's delicious and alwaysgets raves.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:37pm
post #12 of 23

I love Sharffen Berger too, but it can be hard to find unless I order it on-line. Usuallly I use Ghirardeli.. it has a great flavor and is easy to find.

Merckens and Peters aren't real chocolates are they? I mean I know that Merkens has a dark chocolate product, but it's confectioner's coating isn't it? I don't care for the chocolate flavored Merckens.. (any Merckens really).. it doesn't have a deep chocolate flavor.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:05pm
post #13 of 23

I mostly use the Trader Joe's Pounder Plus bars, which are made by Callebaut. (Incidentally, Trader Joe's chocolate chips (at $1.49 a bag) are made by Ghiardelli (which charge over double that for the bittersweet chips).

You might want to try Lindt (which is widely available, even at Walmart) bars, which come in a variety of cacao %'s. I like Valrhona best if I'm making something for a special occasion.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:14pm
post #14 of 23

Wow thanks guys for the suggestions! I may give them all a try! (I found the traders Joes to be kind of waxy..did you have any problems with it pouring nicely?)

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:28pm
post #15 of 23

I used Ghirardelli's dark chocolate for mine. It really made the cake taste rich. I will use it from now on. icon_smile.gif

Chippi

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:42pm
post #16 of 23

I usually use Guittard... I'm not married to it, and try others when the mood strikes lol, but that's what I usually keep on hand.

shalderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalderman Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:59pm
post #17 of 23

I too use the dark Ghiradelli kind. Its affordable but so much tastier than plain chocolate chips for ganache.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 5:04pm
post #18 of 23

I use Ghirardelli's because it is available at Sam's however if I had easy access to it I'd use Sharffen Berger all of the time! Sandy 2008--here's the answer to your questions about dripping ganache over a cake in this thread called "How to make chocolate to drip down the side of a cake". http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-609816.htmlad

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 6:41pm
post #19 of 23

The local Harris Teeters in NC carry Sharffen Berger, but is is $3.99 for 3 ounces and the cake I make uses 6 oz. melted and 12 oz. chopped for a 9 " or 10" round; so I only use it for a REALLY special occasion, I just can't pass that cost onto the customer and it would eat way too much into my profit to use it regularly.

Sweet_Guys Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 2:06am
post #20 of 23

Jkal---

You're right: Merckens is a coating chocolate...However, people enjoy the dark chocolate because it has a sweetness to it that your typical real dark chocolate doesn't have...In that case, people don't mind eating dark chocolate because they know they're not eating bitter chocolate.

Paul & Peter

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 12:50pm
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

Wow thanks guys for the suggestions! I may give them all a try! (I found the traders Joes to be kind of waxy..did you have any problems with it pouring nicely?)

Not with making ganache, no. If I'm just melting the chocolate to use "straight" without the heavy cream, I do add a touch of canola oil.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 3:12pm
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Guys

Jkal---

You're right: Merckens is a coating chocolate...However, people enjoy the dark chocolate because it has a sweetness to it that your typical real dark chocolate doesn't have...In that case, people don't mind eating dark chocolate because they know they're not eating bitter chocolate.

Paul & Peter

Good to know.. I have dark chocolate Merkens.. I used them to coat cake balls. I just can't get past that waxy flavor they have. I am not into sweet stuff though. I like really dark chocolate.

Sweet_Guys Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 9:35pm
post #23 of 23

At least the Merckens we get doesn't have a waxy taste...They're better than that company out of Illinois that teaches cake decorating classes!

The reason we went with Merckens is because they use palm kernel oil in their chocolate preparation rather than beeswax.

Paul & Peter

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%