When Should I Start On This Cake??

Decorating By cavette Updated 11 Nov 2008 , 11:32pm by cavette

cavette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cavette Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 1:44am
post #1 of 8

I'm making a cake for a co-worker it's her One Year Anniversary icon_biggrin.gif Party...I was wondering when should I start Baking....decorating? The cake is for this Saturday 11/15/08! It's going to be my first time making a topsy-turvy cake...OMG! Should I use fondant ..if so which one is better MMF or MFF? If anyone could give me any tips I would be grateful....I'm going to use the styrofoam technique so If anyone could give me tips...Grateful I would be Thanks!!

7 replies
cavette Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 1:57am
post #2 of 8

Please Anyone Help......Anyone!!!! TIA

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:09am
post #3 of 8

Maybe start baking now and freeze the cake until you are ready to use it. I've never tried MMF, I make my own white chocolate fondant, but I hear that many people like it and find it easy to work with. You should probably start decorating it by Thursday the latest, because topsy turvy cakes take a lot of work. You may want to start carving it on Wednesday. Good luck!

cavette Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:12am
post #4 of 8

Thanks for replying!

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:02am
post #5 of 8

You're welcome! Hope it helps!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:58am
post #6 of 8

Yes you can bake anytime and fz the cakes until the night before you want to work on them.
You can make your fondant now and store in air tight container. Any decorations can be made now to dry until needed. If you don't want them to dry wrap well & store in airtight container.

Have you used fondant before? If not they can be done in b'cream.

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 4:30am
post #7 of 8

I use the styrofoam method only. I make the disks at least 2 inch in height. The last time I had to glue two 1 inch disks together. You may already know that once you have carved as much as you want you can rub two of the disks together and they act as sand paper and smooths everything very well. I prefer to use buttercream on all of the cake tiers and cover the styrofoam with MMF. Make the MMF at least the day before and let it sit over night. The styrofoam tiers are the same size as the tier just above them and actually act as bases for them. You will be surprised how easy this type of topsy turvy cake is to make. You can stack them once at the location and there is no need to dowel them and in fact it is difficult to dowel them through the styrofoam. MMF accents on the buttercream will tie it all together and if you are able to smooth the buttercream enough it is hard to distinquish the difference. I suggest you bake Wednesday, frost and decorate on Thursday or level the layers and freeze to decorate Friday. It will still be moist if you want to have it done by Friday and the buttercream will crust nicely and travel well with the fondant accents on Saturday. Feel free to PM if you have any questions. Here is my first one that I did 3 years ago.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=22017

cavette Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 11:32pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you so much!! All the information the three of you have given me will sure to come in handy! I'm going to start baking Wednesday! Thanks so much! Hope it comes out great....I have a vision hope it looks like the vision in my head!! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%