Cake Balls...what Did I Do Wrong??

Decorating By mommaroxy Updated 13 Nov 2008 , 8:09pm by mommaroxy

mommaroxy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommaroxy Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 14

Well, I think I know. Anyway, Ive read a bunch about cake balls and had never ever heard of them before CC. I decided this weekend Id make some since they sounded fun and not too hard. So, I made a butter cake...just a mix, since I wasnt sure how an extended recipe would do being all broken up and all. I made home made cream cheese frosting. YUMMY!! I used 2 cups of the frosting, as per bakerellas website. I dunno but it was sooo sticky. The balls kept falling apart on my hands and didnt keep a good round ball shape. I popped them in the freezer for about 15 min. Melted the chocolate, but when I dipped the balls the cake pulled away and stuck to everything I used, my fingers, spoon, fork...etc. They tasted ok, but we all thought it was too doughy textured from too much frosting. The tutorial on here doesnt give an amount for liquid to use. The first time I make something I like exact measurements so I have something to go by. Anybody willing to share with me icon_redface.gif Believe me they didnt turn out lookin too great either as little bits of cake got into choc. There are soo many coffee creamer flavors that I was looking forward to playing around with, but need to know what Im doing wrong!!

Thanks in advance for any replies. Sorry this post is all run together, Im using my left hand while holding my sleeping baby! Take Care and God Bless

~Roxanne

*edited for spelling error*

13 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 14

Using up cake scraps...

Cake balls and more:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-268903-.html

HTH

Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newatdecorating Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 14

I add a little of the frosting and mix it up. I keep adding to it, a little at a time, until I get the right consistency. I also keep them in the freezer overnight, before I dip them in chocolate.

pmaucher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmaucher Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 14

I sounds as though you used to much frosting. I always add alittle at a time and the amount is different every time. I think that has to do with how moist or dry your cake is.

I also dont like dipping the balls into choc., its always a huge mess and I can never get them to look at nice as other people. I started using molds, coat in choc, then fill the cake filling. I use the molds to make cookes with (purchased at AC Moore and Micheals). That way you get a nice shape and its clean looking (also not as messy).

I also have not used the coffee creamers, I like using cake filling or icing. I have used - peanut butter mouse, raspberry filling, cream cheese frosting, BC oreo filling, choc mousse and Royal Icing. They taste so good. I have two ziplock bags of cake balls in my freezer now, I havent even had the chance to coat them in choc. yet. My fiancee loves them better without the choc, and eats them right from the freezer.

Hope this helped, good luck next time.
Pam

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 3:45pm
post #5 of 14

Sounds like too much "binder" to me. I don't use frosting because I don't want them overly sweet or sticky.

For each layer of cake I crumble up, I use just enough until they start to form into balls and hold their shape. (maybe 3-4tbsp of liquid) Start with a little and work your way up. Easier to add to it then to take away.

I do not freeze them either.

mommaroxy Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 5:00pm
post #6 of 14

Thank you everyone!!

JanH...awesome links! Lots of ideas! Thank you!!

pmaucher...great idea. I love it, molds would make a nice clean look! What size do you use? I gotta get me some! lol

Ironbaker...thanks for the amount, Im gonna give the creamer a try since there are sooo many to choose from!

Newatdecorating...thanks for the tips. I will be trying again!!

Seems like too much frosting as I thought while I was mixing, well...still tasted yummy and kids loved them!!

Thanks Again, Roxanne

Marysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marysmom Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:13pm
post #7 of 14

Of course, it's possible that you don't like cake balls. There are many here who love them and many who really don't like them at all. I personally think they are mushy and a waste of good cake scraps. Though, my husband loves them.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 11:48pm
post #8 of 14

I use a box of cake mix, made as listed on the box. I do not use very much BC at all. To be honest, I like booze balls! I add Disaronno amaretto to the cake and then add a little BC just for flavor!!! Works for me. When I eat them I usually eat so many they would taste good no matter what. Also puts me in a very good mood...maybe that's why my family loves them?

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:14am
post #9 of 14

Malakin you crack me up icon_lol.gif I haven't tried the "booze" ones by must, soon!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:20am
post #10 of 14

Malakin, you're my kind. icon_wink.gif The "liquid" I speak of is the good kind. icon_lol.gif

Unless I'm making some that kids will eat, I always use Bailey's, rum, kahlua or some other complimentary liquor. They are delicious. thumbs_up.gif

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:29am
post #11 of 14

I have not made them with the coffee creamer. The recipe I have says to use 2/3 of a can of store bought frosting. Mix with cake bits and chill 2 hours. Make into balls and freeze at least 2 hours. Coat with almond bark or coating of your choice. HTH

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:48pm
post #12 of 14

We just crumble up the cake scraps with a fork, add some liqueuer, and mold into balls. We then chill them for a while. After that, we roll them in chocolate.

We never thought about adding frosting...Just the cake, chocolate, and liqueur....YUMMY!!!!

Paul & Peter

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 5:46pm
post #13 of 14

I don't like them when icing is added....to me they get slimyicon_sad.gif
It just takes a bit of moisture....be it icing, booze, creamer, whatever.

mommaroxy Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 8:09pm
post #14 of 14

Booze Balls! Love that idea! Gonna have to try that one next summer...probably sooner for others, but Im still nursing my baby. icon_cry.gif j/k I have never been a big drinker, but those sound great for New Years Eve!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%