Gumpaste And Fondant

Decorating By WendyPowell Updated 11 Nov 2008 , 12:53am by WendyPowell

WendyPowell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyPowell Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 12:35am
post #1 of 7

I am new to the cake decorating and have only tried fondant one time. I keep seeing gumpaste and wondered if it was the same as fondant. The one time I tried the fondant, it was not tasty! So I haven't tried it since. Does anyone know where I can buy tasty fondant and what is the difference between fondant and gumpaste? Thank You!

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 12:52am
post #2 of 7

You can make your own fondant. There are several recipes on this site. One is MMF - marshmallow fondant.
You can add flavoring to ready made fondant; just knead it in.
Gumpaste is similar to fondant - you can add Tylose (a gum) to fondant so it has the stretch and drying of gp.
To make gp use Nic Lodge's recipe; it's basically royal icing properly made with Tylose added.

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 1:49am
post #3 of 7

Hi Wendy ~ Gumpaste is not the same as fondant, although both are used in decorating. Gumpaste tends to dry harder. You can roll it very thin and make lifelike flowers and such. I used it also for my current avatar, a baby bassinet, which was the cake topper for my niece's Christening cake. With regards to the taste of fondant, I don't use it that often. And while I have not tried it, I have seen rave reviews on this site for the taste of Marshmallow Fondant (MMF). .... Hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 2:46am
post #4 of 7

If you only tried Wilton, it is nasty. MMF is a popular fondant and I like to use Satin Ice. I order it from Global Sugar Art and it tastes pretty good too.

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 1:14pm
post #5 of 7

MMF is very easy to make and tastes so much better than wilton. You can add some vanilla flavor to the melted MM or butter flavor, or any flavor for that matter. Also choc MMF is so yummy. You just add cocoa to the MM before you add the PS.I am trying gumpaste for the first time this week. It dries harder and can be rolled very thin.

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 7

For decorations I've found out I like to use straight gumpaste. It seems easier to handle and less chance of sticking, it dries faster than fondant, and holds it's shape better once dry. For eating, it's fondant hands down. My kids love to eat the gumpaste and it makes me gag. It's not that it tastes bad as it's very similar to fondant, but the addition of tylose makes it get a slimy, sticky kind of feel in your mouth. It does dry faster when you're working with (gp). I haven't tried the 50/50 mix of fondant and gumpaste yet.

WendyPowell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyPowell Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 12:53am
post #7 of 7

Thank you guys so much for the info! I love this site and it is very informative!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%