What To Use For The Coloring For Airbrushing And Painting?

Decorating By CarrieBear Updated 9 Nov 2008 , 9:17pm by clintr24

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 8:03pm
post #1 of 5

Can anyone tell me what you use for the coloring for airbrushing on fondant and gumpaste? diluted food coloring or is there a specific product/s you use for airbrushing.

Also for painting on fondant? I have used diluted gel/coloring but is there something that is more concentrated that you use?

any help would be appreciated thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 5

for airbrushing you use airbrush color. Purchase it in botles - lots of different suppliers.

For paintint on fondant, I generally make my paint from dusts and a clear alcohol like clear vanilla.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 5

As leahs said You definately need to get commercially made air brushing food colors. There is no way to make it yourself.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 5

I bought a multi-pack of airbrush color for about $20 - I think there were 10 colors and from there, you can make anything. I use the same for handpainting, since I already have it. Just use vodka to dilute and go to town.

I have heard of people using gel colors mixed with vodka to paint if you don't have the airbrush colors. I am a lazy person icon_smile.gif so I like the ease of just squirting color instead of having to mix each "batch" of color.

clintr24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clintr24 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 9:17pm
post #5 of 5

I use Kroma Kolors...I've never had it gum up my airbrush gun and it goes on the cake really well.

The only problem I've come across with it is that if you spray too much in one place it will run. But that is probably a problem with all airbrushing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%