Yuk - Smbc

Decorating By Stina Updated 11 Nov 2008 , 3:01am by BakingJeannie

Stina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stina Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 3:43am
post #1 of 18

icon_sad.gif Okay I tried the SMBC and followed all of the directions. I watched for the scary curdled stage and even got through that. In fact after reading all of the info on this buttercream, when I went to make it I felt really confident, and I think it came out looking beautiful. Now, how on earth do you get it to taste like something edible? Mine had absoluetly NO sweet taste at all (can I just add more sugar?), but mostly I am upset that it just tastes like you've eaten a stick of butter by itself. I mean it literally took hours for me to get the stick-o-butter flavor out of my mouth. Is it hopeless? Any suggestions?

17 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 3:48am
post #2 of 18

Which recipe did you use? Did you use salted or unsalted butter? Sounds like you used salted butter by your description. I only use unsalted butter and it never tastes like a stick of butter.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 3:56am
post #3 of 18

That's the beauty of SMBC and IMBC, that it's not such a sweet icing. icon_smile.gif Don't just try to add more sugar, the recipe doesn't work that way.

Begin by adding at least a few teaspoons of good quality vanilla for a basic flavouring. (I use about 1-2 tablespoons of the best vanilla, it's delicious! You taste the smooth creaminess of the icing, not the unsalted butter flavour.)

If you really don't like the icing, you can add 1/2 cup of cocoa powder to it and see how you like a chocolate version of it....so at least you aren't wasting it. thumbs_up.gif

Stina Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 4:08am
post #4 of 18

Yep, only unsalted butter! I could appreciate it if it "wasn't so sweet" but mine had NO sweetness at all. here is the recipe that I used, what would you suggest - other then the vanilla?

4oz egg whites
8 oz sugar
12 oz unsalted butter
dash of salt
vanilla or other flavoring to taste

Then it just goes on the regular SMBC method that all of the other recipes do. I LOVE the texture, but would just really love it to have a hint more flavor. Could you substitute some of the butter with hi ratio shortening so that the butter isn't quite so strong? I am just shooting in the wind here to make this work. I REALLY want this to work.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 4:08am
post #5 of 18

I've just used flavors w/ batches I've made, but I can't get it to become fluffy for nothing. I used soooo many different recipes. It came out perfect the 1st time & every other time it's just like smooth butter. I'm disappointed too, but you can flavor it. (I really like cinnamon that I made last week)

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 4:35am
post #7 of 18

How much vanilla did you add? I add a bunch.. it makes a difference.

The recipe I use is about the same as what you used:

5 egg whites
1 cup sugar
3 sticks of unsalted butter
2 tsp - 1 TBSP vanilla

Make as you normally would.

It's definitely sweet.. but not in your face sweet like a powdered sugar based icing and certainly doesn't taste like a stick of butter. It's like vanilla ice cream. Did you use fresh eggs or whites from a carton? I have never been able to get the carton whites to work.

Stina Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:19pm
post #8 of 18

I used fresh eggs. Maybe, I just didn't add enough vanilla to it. Although after tasting it the first time (and nearly spitting it out) I did add some raspberry filling to it to make raspberry bc - even that couldn't match the butter. I mean it was REALLY overwhelming - makes me think I did something wrong. But like I said the texture came out beautiful.

dandelion56602 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 3:11pm
post #9 of 18

Stina, what recipe did you use. If I could get my to be fluffy & not just a smooth piece of butter I would be set. I have tried 3 different recipes, alternated using whites in a carton & the real thing & other things in the recipe, even added a little meringue powder someone suggested w/ no good results. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. Could it not filling up my mixer bowl be the problem. Thing is.. if I made THAT much & it didn't work I would be sick. I do end up using it, it's just that it's not "fluffy"

As for flavor, when I made the raspberry, I had to add more than 1/3 c of puree & add a little rapsberry flavor (and I had already added 1 T vanilla too). It was yummy. And don't eat it cold b/c it will taste like a stick of butter!

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 3:30pm
post #10 of 18

I didn't like this icing either. The texture was wonderful to work with, but I hated the taste and the feel of it in my mouth. I guess I don't have a very sophisticated palate!

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 3:38pm
post #11 of 18

Try adding some melted and cooled white chocolate. Puts a little more sugar in it, firms it up, and gives a good taste.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 3:47pm
post #12 of 18

Yaknow, I'm not really a fan of IMBC or SMBC either. I can make it fine. I of course object most to the cost, but I really don't care much for it. There are lots of different icings recipes and you will find something you like.

dandelion56602 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 8:36pm
post #13 of 18

Leahs, since you don't use SMBC do you mind sharing what kind you do use. I understand if you don't want to share a recipe, but do you have one similar?

I love how easy it is to smooth SMBC & it takes much less time to ice/decorate to such a smoothness than a crusting buttercream, but I've yet to find a non crusting that I like & doesn't cost me an arm & leg to make.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 8:37pm
post #14 of 18

I use a variation (my own variation) of the whipped cream buttercream found here in the recipe section.

FromScratch Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 11:24pm
post #15 of 18

Not everyone likes it.. personally I love it and hate powdered sugar based icings.. but everyone is different. I would try adding more vanilla if you ever make it again.. it really does make a difference. I have never thought it tastes like a stick of butter though (even before adding the vanilla) unless it was made with salted butter. It could have been that salt that your recipe called for. Definitely omit that as well if you ever make it again.

BakingJeannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingJeannie Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 2:38pm
post #16 of 18

I love it!!! It taste like clouds of fluffy, delicious, scrumptious, tasty, melt in your mouth, creamy, frosting/icing, dream! For children's cake, I use a butter and powderd sugar icing (they can use the extra sweet), but the SMBC is not sweet and it goes well with the cakes I bake because sometime I get a drier cake which I moisten with a liqueur-flavored simple syrup.

To firm-up the texture of the icing, I sometime whip melted white chocolate in it. My niece, Katherine, loves this type "the fluffy stuff" she calls it.

The IMBC, give me a little problem because I sometimes cook the eggs icon_cry.gif , and a few times get hot syrup on my person. I have found that the SMBC is easier to make. Unslated butter is best for baking; salted butter better for cooking (although you are cooking the icing).

Over the weekend I made a batch for a birthday cake and it was a little softer that ususal and I realize my butter was not as cold as I usually have it. I use cold butter, not room temp.

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 10:09pm
post #17 of 18

When I first made SMBC I also thought it tasted too buttery, but I just kept adding vanilla until it was just right icon_wink.gif . Remember, not all vanillas are created equal. And never eat SMBC cold. It will definetely taste like a stick of butter. I also have wondered about using part shortening, anyone else have experience or thoughts on this?

BakingJeannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingJeannie Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:01am
post #18 of 18

Here in Southeast Florida during the warmer months (you maybe puzzled by this "warmer months"...I know they are all warm icon_rolleyes.gif ) May-ish to October-ish; I substitute about 6-8 oz of butter for Sweetex hi-ratio shorting. My buttercream holds up a lot better in the heat and humidity, however, I don't have that many birthdays during the summer icon_smile.gif .

Your buttercream will be a little whiter than it's cream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%