Hi-Ratio Shortening

Decorating By amyfj1 Updated 9 Nov 2008 , 2:47pm by ladyonzlake

amyfj1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyfj1 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 18

I need to buy another 50 lb block of hi-ratio shortening and was wondering if anyone knew where to get it cheaper than around $80 per block with cheap shipping? Everyone loves my icing since i have been using the hi-ratio shortening but it is so expensive. My local bakery charges so much for it that it's not worth it to buy from them. Any websites you could post? Thanks in advance!

17 replies
Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 18

can't help but I get mine for $69.95 in central FL..

that is CK brand.. i think sweetex is $90.

Just telling you how much i pay so you can compare

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 11:58pm
post #3 of 18

I paid $95 for Sweetex from Oassis which was about $10 cheaper than from my local bakery supply guy--not exactly local-90 miles away. Is CK brand just as good as sweetex?

chloe_52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chloe_52 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 12:10am
post #4 of 18

i know this doesn't have to do with how much for hi-ratio shortening but just wondering what the difference is between this and regular shortening and do you use the same amount in your recipes as you would with the normal shortening?

Rocketgirl899 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 12:21am
post #5 of 18

Diane, I have not tried Sweetex. I was delighted with CK so I figure ill stick with that until I dont know when icon_smile.gif

Chloe, you use the same amount....as for the difference, i know there are threads discussing the differences of makeup. For me it makes a better, smoother less greasy BC.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 12:34am
post #6 of 18

$80 is about average.

I buy mine 3 lbs at a time for $7.45 from counterykitchensa.com . That means I'm spending $125 for 50 lbs, but I typically can't afford to spend $80 in one pop.

I do prefer Sweetex, though, so when I get ahead of the game I splurge on 50lbs of Sweetex.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:26am
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketgirl899

Chloe, you use the same amount....as for the difference, i know there are threads discussing the differences of makeup. For me it makes a better, smoother less greasy BC.

I respectfully beg to differ. icon_smile.gif

Hi-ratio shortening has more emulsifiers & less water content than regular shortening so you can use less to achieve better performance.

I initiallly tried substituting hi-ratio to Crisco 1:1 and the result was shortening overkill.... The only comparison I can think of is using heavy whipping cream in a recipe that calls for 2% or whole milk..

Also, since hi-ratio does cost more than Crisco, you're spending more per batch of frosting than is necessary because you're not taking advantage of hi-ratio's superior performance characteristics (vs. Crisco).

Janette and other CC members purchase the CK brand of hi-ratio shortening from www.CountryKitchensa.com

The Bakers Kitchen has reasonable shipping and sells Swwtex and Alpine hi-ratio shortening:

http://www.thebakerskitchen.com/BAKEWARE_SHOPPE/Baking_Ingredients/Food_Items/Buttercream_&_Shortenings/ready-made_buttercream_&_shortenings.htm

Hi-ratio shortening frosting recipes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6148181-.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-608700-.html

Everything you ever wanted to know about hi-ratio shortening:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-219731-.html

HTH

Rocketgirl899 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 3:06am
post #8 of 18

I should have said "I" use the same amounticon_smile.gif

Thanks for more info Jan icon_smile.gif

JanH Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 4:00am
post #9 of 18

Rocketgirl899, have you tried any of the recipes specifically written for hi-ratio? You might be pleasantly surprised by being able to use less product to get the same or better results.

Forget to add to previous post that cakemanOH recommends using 1 cup of hi-ratio per 7 cups of powdered sugar. If substituting hi-ratio in Crisco recipe, use 2/3 cup hi-ratio for each cup of Crisco.

But when all is said and done, nothing matters more than personal taste preference. icon_smile.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 4:20am
post #10 of 18

I find I have to add a lot of salt and butter flavoring to compete with all of the PS needed when using hi-ratio shortening, but I love working with it. I used vailla creamer, 2 1/2 t salt and 3 drams of LoRann butter flavoring for my last batch and I loved the taste.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 4:27am
post #11 of 18

I too have wondered about the CK brand. It use to be quite a bit cheaper, but it's about the same price as Sweetex on the Baker's Kitchen website listed above.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 4:28am
post #12 of 18

hmmm never thought about it.. just followed directions...

so when I make Nick gumpaste can I not use Hi-ratio, or how much should i use? or should i not waste the expensive stuff on it? I don't wanna screw up the product!

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 4:40am
post #13 of 18

Rocketgirl, I too live in Central Florida and have been looking for a place to buy hi ratio shortening. Where are you shopping? Thanks!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 4:42am
post #14 of 18

While I like high ratio shortenings, I believe it has transfats in it.

I'm in Washington and as of Jan. 2009 it is required (if you are a legal business) that 0 transfat ingredients are used. California is the other state going non transfat. The health department will be looking for this in your ingredients.

Bummer! icon_sad.gif

Rocketgirl899 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 5:45am
post #15 of 18

hey Forthwife,

There are two places that I am aware of.

#1 D&G Ocassions. They are off Herndon Ave. Near Fashion square mall.
--you can buy sweetex in 50lb blocks for $90
--you can get CK in 3# for 8.99 and 50# for $69.99

This palce is awesome. Lou (younger latina women) is a home cake decorator and is AMAZING, always helping me outicon_smile.gif This is an awesome store. Has pretty much everything. Pretty fair prices as well. Plus its a mom and pop shop so I like iticon_smile.gif

#2 Jesters Party supply-- located in Kissimee just south of 522
I saw 3# of hi ratio (don't remember the brand) for $7.99. Didn't pay much attention to that stuff because I just bought 50#.
This is a much larger store, with more gumpaste supplies, maybe more supplies in general, but they are much further away and there prices on most things alil more expensive. Haven't had much time to browse there but this place is huge! Feels alil too much like party city tho icon_sad.gif and it is MUCH further away from me. at least 30 min.. and OBT is a devil if you get ever light.

HTH icon_smile.gif

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 6:08am
post #16 of 18

if you have a GFS you can get the sweettex- (they'll order it for you if they don't carry it at that store)But, it's $89 so it's the same but no shipping costs.

CK does have a lighter texture than sweetex and every batch of CK I've bought has little lumps. They are easy to mix out- but I was surprised to see them.
Sweetex is more solid-looks like a solid crisco - I use exactly the same amount as I would crisco. The difference for me is in the recipe I use one cup of real butter. That softens the hi-ratio texture and makes it taste pretty incredible. I use a crusting icing recipe. I.e. if your recipe calls for 3 cups of crisco- then do 2 of hi ratio and one of butter.

Hi ratio takes colors better than crisco tooicon_smile.gif

JanH Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 6:09am
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyonzlake

While I like high ratio shortenings, I believe it has transfats in it.

I'm in Washington and as of Jan. 2009 it is required (if you are a legal business) that 0 transfat ingredients are used. California is the other state going non transfat. The health department will be looking for this in your ingredients.

Bummer! icon_sad.gif

Sweetex Z (for zero transfat) is now available:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-588358-.html

HTH

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:47pm
post #18 of 18

Oh, that's a good thing!! I should have figured with the change in the law that they would accomodate. I'll have to order some and see how well it works. Thank you JanH for the info!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%