Anatomically Correct Heart Cake

Decorating By sweet_teeth Updated 9 Nov 2008 , 7:24pm by BlueDevil

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all icon_smile.gif

My mother works in a unit at the local hospital. There are 3 birthdays this week (including hers) for people that work in the unit. My mom wants to surprise them with an anatomically-correct heart shaped cake. cardio

That being said, does anyone have any tips/ideas on how to make one? I'm not the best at carving shapes..

Thank you in advance icon_smile.gif

-Alex

5 replies
katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:40am
post #2 of 6

Not sure how you would do that but at least this will bump you back to the top. I would make one heart the anatomically out of candy clay, fondant or gum paste and make the heart shaped cake for them to eat.

K

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 11:41am
post #3 of 6

Get yourself the best, most detailed, large pic you can to follow to set in front of you while working. I like the idea of making it from fondant &/OR gp.

BlueDevil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueDevil Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:01pm
post #4 of 6

First, I would not use heart shaped pans! The human heart is more like an oval. There are plenty of pics online you can look at.

The color is kind of a dusky red (NOT fire-engine red!). Fondant ropes of bright red and blue (arteries and veins) branching off from the top to the bottom running side by side would be killer!

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumb_112/116850918515uCI5.jpg

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 6

I agree with Bluedevil. I work in the medical field and definitely more oval shaped. Simply trim the bottom to make a more pointed rounded bottom. Here is another detailed pic, but I woudn't make it too realistic, yuck! http://www-e6.ijs.si/~roman/projects/heart_html/IMAGES/HEART.HTM

BlueDevil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueDevil Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 6

And I agree with Malakin.

The veins and arteries will look great as fondant ropes or buttercream.

even thought eh heart has a lot of fat (the yellow at the top and around the vessels), you might want to skip that part...just gross!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%