11.07.08 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 8 Nov 2008 , 2:09pm by loriemoms

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:45am
post #1 of 28

is called to order. Who's up? Whatcha working on?

27 replies
leah_s Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:46am
post #2 of 28

I actually didn't have a wedding thisweek. 7 party cakes, (5 were Damask design) but no wedding cakes. Anyway, all done for the evening, but checking in with the FNCC.

leah_s Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:02am
post #3 of 28

::knocks on screen::

Anybody there?

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:09am
post #4 of 28

I'm here - have about 4, 2-tiered cakes and one wedding cake (that I am catering tomorrow) hopefully will get some sleep tonight but I think that I say that every friday haha

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:15am
post #5 of 28

I'm done... business is soooooooo slow for me right now... **SIGH** Had a huge order or mini cheesecakes that I just finished, but that's it icon_sad.gif

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:16am
post #6 of 28

I'm here I don't have any this weekend but I do have three cakes next weekend I've just been cleaning tonight getting ready for my busy weekend next week

Molly

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:29am
post #7 of 28

I only had one cake this weekend (just finished, mostly...) but got all my baking done for my six cakes next weekend. Going to decorate one per day until done! (With four kids I can't handle much more than one per day).

Tonights cake is an Amtrak car, as a groom's cake for a couple who used Amtrak while dating long distance! Very sweet. Fairly large, 40 servings.

Although I HATE vehicle cakes. Hate them. Can't do them nicely...they require such straight precise lines and I can't DO straight precise lines!!!!

Plus I used some royal over the fondant for windows and such but its humid today and I have a BAD feeling that the royal is gonna start chipping off during delivery. I wanted hubby to deliver it for me so I could start working on some gumpaste stuff for next week, but I might have to go along just in case touchups are needed. *sigh* Plus kiddo is going to a birthday party so have to pick him up and then take the cake...and stuff the other kids somewhere in the van meanwhile...

I hate vehicle cakes. LOL.

Jessica1817 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica1817 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:29am
post #8 of 28

Just 3 small party cakes this weekend. After a busy October, I'm enjoying the down time icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:31am
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica1817

Just 3 small party cakes this weekend. After a busy October, I'm enjoying the down time icon_smile.gif

My September was busy but my October was dead!!!! Next week is my busiest week ever.... but then I'm having surgery on Nov 20th so haven't been accepting cake orders until January....

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:34am
post #10 of 28

2 tier star wars cake for me. don't know why i waited so long - as i always do!

I'm off to make 5 little gumpaste figures and cut out a bunch of stars. and cover the two cakes in fondant - then i'm off to bed. No big deal - HAHAHAHA!!

I know i shouldn't say this - but I have yet to have my required caketastrophe on this one, i'm sure its around the corner!!

hope everyone else is doing good....will check back in a little bit

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:36am
post #11 of 28

My Friday night happened last night. I stayed up 'til 3:30 this morning to finish this cake.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1285398.html

Then I had to be up at 6:30 AAM to go to my regular job. I worked until 5 PM, came home and finished painting the bumpers and delivered the cake at 7:30 PM. I'm about ready to slip into a coma.

The very best part, though, was that the executive chef at the restaurant where I delivered the cake told me it was beautiful, and that he knows of only one other cake decorator in the area who could have done this cake. He was referring to the guy who happens to be THE premier cake designer in town. He was surprised that I do it as a hobby and told me he thought I am very talented at it. One of the other staff said, "Wow, that looks like an Ace of Cakes". So, I got my dose of positive reinforcement for the week!! I'm so sleep deprived that I nearly started to cry when I got in the car. That kind of feedback from professionals is so gratifying. I'm on cloud nine!!

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:40am
post #12 of 28

icon_biggrin.gif
Feel kinda bad becuase its only 8:30pm here. I've been allover CC tonight I'm looking for a good gumpaste/fondant mix to try my hand at making some golf gloves and tees for a cake.

Not very fancy, but fancy for me!

Then I'm going to try making a stelleto shoe. But I can't find the thread that talked about the gumpaste. Shucks. I don't have all the ingredients for the recipe here on cc (gum Tragacanth...just have Wilton gum-tex).

Off to try and find some fixodent! icon_biggrin.gif

janelwaters Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:42am
post #13 of 28

RUTH!!!! that cake is AMAZING!!!!! you ROCK! I would love for you to do a tutorial on that one (in your spare time - LOL!! icon_lol.gif )

Girl - go get some SLEEP!!!!!

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:49am
post #14 of 28

Ruth that cake is awesome!!!!

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:50am
post #15 of 28

I'm here, finishing up my poetry book cake. So far, so good.

Next up is a castle cake with a design that I am not too fond of but the customer LOVES. I am dreading doing it, but she will be here to pick it up at 9:00 so I better get going....

Then, I have a mickey mouse face to do--I hate doing faces as much as kitagrl hates vehicles. You have to get them perfect or it looks completely horrible!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:06am
post #16 of 28

Just one cake...for my dd's birthday tomorrow. "I just want one that looks like a present with a bow on it." Just as I was beginning to smile at the projected ease of doing this one, she adds, "Strawberry. I want strawberry cake with strawberry icecream in the middle." It's not as difficult as I thought it was going to be but I know I did a visible slump when she said it. I'd only attempted one once...several years ago and didn't want to ever do another one.

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:25am
post #17 of 28

only had to make the stamens for calla lillies.... THANK GOD!

car accident bad icon_sad.gif. Percocet good icon_smile.gif

janelwaters Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:59am
post #18 of 28

ok - stars done, 1/2 of the figures done, decided to wait until morning to cover with fondant b/c it needed to be put in the fridge, I hate putting mmf in the fridge. I have alloted myself 30 more mins and I am going to bed.

back ache bad! icon_cry.gif ; Oxycodone! Good!! icon_lol.gificon_evil.gif

Car accident really bad - hope you are ok and that eveyone involved is ok as well....

tara22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tara22 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 6:08am
post #19 of 28

I just completed a minnie mouse cake and 6 dozen cookies in the shape of jerseys and footballs. YAY! I'm usually working way into the night.

AmieW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmieW Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 6:09am
post #20 of 28

Tonight was my first cake to do in almost 3 weeks!! Just a regular ol baby shower 2 tier. for a boy of course..I've done 14 baby showers and only 1 as been for a girl..and it wasn't even pink cause the mom wanted a boy so she did everything green!!!!!!! I wanted to scream! icon_cry.gif

But bright side is I've gotten 5 orders in the last 2 days! So hopefully business will start picking up again!!

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 6:10am
post #21 of 28

Just finished a camping cake. It's 1am here. I'm WIPED! But very happy with the results. Thank goodness I have a helpful husband who took all the photos for me.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 6:13am
post #22 of 28

3 party cakes and 4 weddings this week. One party cake was picked up this afternoon (a three tiered topsy turvey) and wedding one we delivered tonight (it was a cool wedding..all black and white! Cake was all white, with black ribbon and white gum paste flowers) Just finished all the wedding cakes, and am going to now frost two kitchen cakes. I am doing a Marine Corp cake due on Monday, and already made the big plague out of fondant and gum paste and chocolate. (I am wondering;;It is going on a 14 inch cake (not tiered) Should I put some supports in the cake? It is pretty heavy plaque.)

This is my last big wedding weekend until April. (I have weddings here and there, but not the multiple weddings gotta run around all Saturday delivering mess) I am looking forward to some time off and just doing celebration cakes and such. And consultations..it sure is busy with consultations this time of year!

Dont work too hard and everyone have a good delivery day tomorrow if you are delivering cakes! Am sure loving this 70 degrees weather!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 6:21am
post #23 of 28

I seem to be okicon_smile.gif Just going to be S-O-R-E in the morning...

from what we can tell my car is totalled icon_sad.gif though I never made it outta the car to see...

I was just thinking THANK GOD i didn't have a cake in the car..lol. I am also thankful my first wedding is next weekend and not tomorrow!

The girl that rear ended me appeared to be ok (we went to the same hospital.. acutally rode in the same ambulance).. but never once asked if I was okay, or said sorry, so sounds harsh, but I gave up caring. She was also cursing and being very rude to the EMTs... acting like it was their fault she was waiting.. I am like you put us here lol. (sorry bit of a vent icon_smile.gif )

Oh well, we all make mistakes. I just hope it doesn't take forever to get my transportation issues solved... uhh. that is almost going to be worse than the physical pain.

Janel.. I <3 starwars icon_smile.gif can't wait to see the cake!

fidos_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fidos_mom Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 6:27am
post #24 of 28

I have only 1 cake due on Sunday. BUT... I am starting my Christmas baking this weekend and that means at least 8 hours tomorrow. PLUS I have to make covered oreo's for 60 teenagers going on a state competition next weekend. Think that 120 or so will be enough?? icon_eek.gif

So... not the slow weekend I was hoping with this cold. But better than it could have been!

Take care everyone!
Lisa

janelwaters Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 6:37am
post #25 of 28

I will definately post pics tomorrow when its all done and put together. I have 1/2 of Luke, 1/2 of the other character whose name I can't remember (the pilot guy with chewy! holy cow!! its late!!), most of Darth Vader done and most of R2D2 done and none of chewy yet.....

off to finish Darth's head, the other 2 heads and all of chewy. I got the idea off the site here, the decorator (can't remember who) did the characters like lego figures - so cute and so easy to mold!!

so much for my 30 more mins - ok seriously, 2 is my cut off!!!

glad to hear that you are somewhat ok - sorry about the car - the girl that hit you sounds like a big ole B! she was probably on her cell phone not paying attention!! what a witch!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 7:36am
post #26 of 28

Janel...

hehe. im in much better spirits, especially realizing how ridiculous this girl (21) ...well im only (22) but how nutz she was.

She was on the cell non stop at the hospital so it wouldn't surprise me... and from what I gathered, she would vent she was in so much pain and hurting.. then say she was in a car accident... then I assume the other poeple would ask what "happend" and she would say, I don't know.... oh oh.. pick me! I know what happened.icon_smile.gif But never once did I hear her say... I hit somebody.

btw. the pilot guy is Han Solo ..... my bf would be so proud I knew that lol!

Have a great night, get some resticon_smile.gif

BlueDevil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueDevil Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 1:11pm
post #27 of 28

Saturday 8 am here on the right coast...

I spent yesterday afternoon icing cookies for a medium-sized order. I am heading downstairs now in my jammies to make two 8" rounds of Collette Peters chocolate bourbon cake for Representative Dutch Ruppersberger, who is visiting my place of work (day job!) on Monday.

First time baking for a member on Congress...but the General loves my cake already!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 2:09pm
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

My Friday night happened last night. I stayed up 'til 3:30 this morning to finish this cake.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1285398.html

Then I had to be up at 6:30 AAM to go to my regular job. I worked until 5 PM, came home and finished painting the bumpers and delivered the cake at 7:30 PM. I'm about ready to slip into a coma.

The very best part, though, was that the executive chef at the restaurant where I delivered the cake told me it was beautiful, and that he knows of only one other cake decorator in the area who could have done this cake. He was referring to the guy who happens to be THE premier cake designer in town. He was surprised that I do it as a hobby and told me he thought I am very talented at it. One of the other staff said, "Wow, that looks like an Ace of Cakes". So, I got my dose of positive reinforcement for the week!! I'm so sleep deprived that I nearly started to cry when I got in the car. That kind of feedback from professionals is so gratifying. I'm on cloud nine!!

OMG that is the BEST car cake I have ever seen! The spokes of the wheels alone are amazing!! I think it is BETTER then ace of cakes! Congrats!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%