Black Fondant Help

Decorating By cakesbydina Updated 9 Nov 2008 , 6:22pm by lecrn

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 2:59am
post #1 of 9

does anyone know how to make black fondant? Or where to buy it? I am making a guitar cake and the majority of the cake needs to be black.

8 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:07am
post #2 of 9

You can buy it from intotheoven or globalsugarart
If you need to make it start with chocolate fondant first then add black

sgauta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgauta Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 12:25pm
post #3 of 9

I just made some last night for the first time. I made chocolate MMF and added black coloring to it. It took a lot of kneading, but I got it pretty dark!

-Sarah

TheDomesticDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDomesticDiva Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 9

I'd recommend just buying it if you have the budget for it. You'll save tons of time and frustration in the end!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 7:37pm
post #5 of 9

You just need to add a LOT of black paste color - I like Americolor. It will make it really soft so you'll need to add some powdered sugar also. It's fine it you are only making a relatively small amount. If you are making enough to say, cover a cake, you can buy black Satin Ice. I've bought it from Global Sugar Art and was really pleased with it. It was much easier than making my own.

CheriN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CheriN Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 7:46pm
post #6 of 9

Hey there! What I do is add some cocoa powder to the fondant before I add the icing sugar so that it is still wet and then after it is brown I add some black paste and then stir that in with a spoon... then I add the icing sugar and I have never had trouble with it not being dark enough... as long as the liquid is black it should stay black... I hope that helps you! Also, if you are making MMF then sometimes I seperate the melted marshmallows to add different colors and then knead in the icing sugar to the different colors until it becomes fondant. icon_smile.gif Does that make sense?

BlueDevil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueDevil Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:02pm
post #7 of 9

You can buy it from SatinIce. Failing that, if you have an airbrush you can paint it blue then black for a really inky, dark black...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:27pm
post #8 of 9

fondant newbie here .... I would buy it, if you can. If not, I colored my own on the film reel cake. Started with white fondant (I used choco-pan) and added black coloring. Use plastic gloves while you knead it!!!!! I was surprised at how much black I didn't have to use and it mixed pretty well. I also made it the day before so it had time to set and darken a bit.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 6:22pm
post #9 of 9

You probably just want to buy it. Just make sure that you add the extra charge on the cake price. I buy black Satin Ice from Into the Oven. The flavor is vanilla. Or you could make choc. MMF & add black color to it. Do they want chocolate? It takes A LOT of black color to make white fondant black & it makes your fondant sticker.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%