Need Advice: Getting Home Ready For Holidays

Lounge By midwestmommy Updated 11 Nov 2008 , 2:53pm by mommicakes

midwestmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midwestmommy Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 2:15am
post #1 of 10

Yikes! The holidays are FAST approaching. How do you handle preparing for the white glove tests??

9 replies
kbak37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbak37 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 6:27am
post #2 of 10

I first freak out, then obsess, then yell at my kids because they are just causing more of a mess, hide what I can and clean the rest!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 9:55am
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmommy

How do you handle preparing for the white glove tests??

Sounds like you're having inspections.... icon_eek.gifthumbsdown.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Some housework quotes:

Our house is clean enough to be healthy, and dirty enough to be happy. ~Author Unknown

Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing. ~Phyllis Diller,

You sometimes see a woman who would have made a Joan of Arc in another century and climate, threshing herself to pieces over all the mean worry of housekeeping. ~Rudyard Kipling

My theory on housework is, if the item doesn't multiply, smell, catch fire, or block the refrigerator door, let it be. No one else cares. Why should you? ~Erma Bombeck

I think housework is the reason most women go to the office. ~Heloise Cruse

Don't cook. Don't clean. No man will ever make love to a woman because she waxed the linoleum - "My God, the floor's immaculate. Lie down, you hot bitch." ~Joan Rivers

The obvious and fair solution to the housework problem is to let men do the housework for, say, the next six thousand years, to even things up. The trouble is that men, over the years, have developed an inflated notion of the importance of everything they do, so that before long they would turn housework into just as much of a charade as business is now. They would hire secretaries and buy computers and fly off to housework conferences in Bermuda, but they'd never clean anything. ~Dave Barry

HTH

sasporella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sasporella Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 10:54am
post #4 of 10

icon_lol.gif Love those housework quotes JanH icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 1:18pm
post #5 of 10

Simple..... we go to my daughter's house and SHE worries about it! icon_lol.gif

navywifetrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
navywifetrat Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:54pm
post #6 of 10

I had a friend one time who was complaining about her husband thinking she should mop every day. I told her to sweep, take a rag and clean up any spills and then fill the sink up with bleach water and let it sit until he was about to walk through the door! The smell makes you think you cleaned all day!!!!! icon_lol.gif

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 7:06pm
post #7 of 10

Have a maid service come a few days early, then just do a light cleaning the day company arrives. I always make sure the bethrooms are extra clean, especially where you look when you're sitting down. icon_redface.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 8:02pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifetrat

I had a friend one time who was complaining about her husband thinking she should mop every day.

Just today, married daughter and I were talking about just ordering Thanksgiving dinner from Bob Evans (they have a $75 meal that will feed all of us .... cheaper and easier!). And since I have a catering/wedding the following Saturday, I'm all for anything that decreases my work load that week!

Hubby was complaining about having a "restaurant" Thanksgiving. (It's Bob Evans, not McDonald's!), so I turned to him and said, "I'm sorry, honey ..... what were YOU going to cook on Thanksgiving?"

That pretty much shut him up.

So if your husband thinks the floor should be mopped everyday ... just hand him the mop and tell him "go for it!" icon_twisted.gif

That'll shut him up!

cmp24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmp24 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 8:37pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifetrat

I had a friend one time who was complaining about her husband thinking she should mop every day. I told her to sweep, take a rag and clean up any spills and then fill the sink up with bleach water and let it sit until he was about to walk through the door! The smell makes you think you cleaned all day!!!!! icon_lol.gif

Love it! I do the same thing. I keep a spray bottle of pine sol and water under the cabnet and use it frequently.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:53pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Simple..... we go to my daughter's house and SHE worries about it! icon_lol.gif

Deb, that is just tooo funny!!!!

I use the spritz of the cleaning spray (sometimes a lavendar mist) and the bleach thing in the bathroom sink. Then run around with a dust cloth to get rid of the dust bunnies, and the dust mop to get them from under the table.

OR you can use the kids to help. Bribing with cookies/cakes always works wonders here.

icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%