Cake Layers

Decorating By Donnagardner Updated 8 Nov 2008 , 5:53pm by JanH

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 4

I am curious about cake layers I saw on the Wedding cake show on WE the other day. They were stacking the sand castle cake and the layers were all about 1 inch thick. Does any one use layers like this and if you do what do you use to bake them in and what is the advantage? They were cooked both top and bottom so I know they were not other cakes cut in to layers.They appeared to be very even in height like maybe they were done in a jelly roll pan or something like that. Just curious why this is done. Thanks Donna

3 replies
luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 1:56am
post #2 of 4

Yeah I saw that too. I think they baked those in jelly roll pans. Maybe because then they didn't have to tort them, but I'm not sure. Weird.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 11:22am
post #3 of 4

Because it's faster. You can also get a more consistant product. You'll have more waste, but cake is cheap compared to labor, and utility costs. You bake a couple of full sheet trays. Then you cut out what you need. A few months back I did a cake like this. I poured the batter in a 1/2 sheet tray, and baked. It took 15-20 mins ( I think), cut out what I needed, and done.

Mike

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 4

Here's a similar thread on Ace of Cake layers:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-608528-.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%