Icing To Pipe Utilizing Gold Luster Dust?

Decorating By DuncanHinesgirl Updated 10 Nov 2008 , 5:45pm by tiggy2

DuncanHinesgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DuncanHinesgirl Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 14

I could of sworn there were directions in one of the ACD magazines on how to make icing to pipe through a bag incorporating luster dusts. But I can't find it. Any help, please?
I'm working on a golden anniversary cake and need to incorporate golden scrolls in my design. TIA.

13 replies
stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 10:25pm
post #2 of 14

I'm not familiar with any articles but I would suggest using royal icing for the scrolls and once they are dry, paint them with gold luster dust/lemon extract. I did that for my last cake in my pics and it was really nice looking up close.

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 3:59am
post #3 of 14

Hi DuncanHinesgirl,

Just an FYI

Please Note what I've learned from others on CC about Gold & Silver Luster Dust:

"The best one can do is make a golden yellow icing and paint it w/Karo Syrup or piping gel thinned down for the shine. The metallic (shiny true) gold and silver dusts cannot be eaten. NuSilver and gold are heavy metals that are never digested nor eliminated from the body. They stay inside you and any you consume builds up and can poison you over time. How much time? How much consumed? I don't know."

Tammy

stephaniescakenj Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:06am
post #4 of 14

I used gold pearl dust. It has no warnings on it that its not edible? is this what you're referring to?

stephaniescakenj Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:12am
post #5 of 14

i just looked at my nusilver too and it says non-toxic? highlighting powders clearly say non edible though, I haven't tried them? Is what I have non-edible then?

glendaleAZ Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:15am
post #6 of 14

Hi stephaniescakenj,

This is what kakeladi told me, âI do believe the petal dusts are o.k. -- it's the ones that are metallic such as NuSilver that are not to be consumed.â

stephaniescakenj Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:21am
post #7 of 14

Wow. thanks for your response. If they're not safe to eat, they shouldn't say non-toxic then. I usually only use them on accents that get pulled off the cake anyway but my last one I used it all over the place, it was for a competition so it's not like we ate it but they should have a warning if that's the case.

DuncanHinesgirl: I was just thinking, I always notice that ThanhThanh's piping details are very shiny. I bet you could PM her and see what she does. she has a ton of beautiful cakes on here, quite a few in the thanksgiving gallery, she puts her name on all her cakes so you'll be able to pick her out really easy.

glendaleAZ Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:23am
post #8 of 14

Also, I've been using Gold and Silver Petal Dust (Wilton) mixed with Vodka. I've tried mixing it with lemon extract, but it left a lemon flavor when eaten. Vodka will evaporate and will not leave any after taste.

purplebutterfly1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
purplebutterfly1234 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:29am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendaleAZ

Also, I've been using Gold and Silver Petal Dust (Wilton) mixed with Vodka. I've tried mixing it with lemon extract, but it left a lemon flavor when eaten. Vodka will evaporate and will not leave any after taste.

Sorry to jump in guys, but wanted to know more of what you were talking about.

Is the Wilton stuff good to use?

TIA

glendaleAZ Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:32am
post #10 of 14

stephaniescakenj --I agree. It's very misleading.

glendaleAZ Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:37am
post #11 of 14

Hi purplebutterfly1234,

As far as I know, the Wilton petal dust colors are okay. Itâs the Gold and NuSilver metallic (shiny true) dusts that cannot be eaten.

Tammy

purplebutterfly1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
purplebutterfly1234 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:41am
post #12 of 14

Thanks so much Tammy! icon_smile.gif

I haven't yet been introduced to NuSilver. Thank you for sharing this info with us.

I appreciate the quick response! thumbs_up.gif

glendaleAZ Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:48am
post #13 of 14

NP. I'm so grateful to CC and the forums that give us so much information, with just a click of the mouse. The last thing I want to do is poison a customer. icon_redface.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 5:45pm
post #14 of 14

If I remember correctly Than Than airbrushes her cakes with Pearl Shimmer color. I did the same thing on a couple of small cakes last Christmas and they very shiny. They're in my photos is you want to check them out (candle and poinsettia).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%